RE: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Another award document question

  • Mark Bush (personal account)
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 1, 2005
      In may case, as is always the case with this Royal, I was called before the
      Crown in Court and there was a fair amount of pomp and circumstance
      including a recitation of my "accomplishments" (such as they are) and His
      becoming aware of them through a variety of sources before the AoA was
      announced. The herald began to read the text and was quickly and with some
      consternation told by the King, "n My Court, award texts are not read." It
      was a bit disconcerting to me, truth be told, and I felt bad for the herald
      being spanked so in public, but it WAS His Court and it is His prerogative
      to run it as He wishes.

      As one who deeply appreciates the attention to detail and the marvel of a
      well-crafted text or scroll design, I find it unfortunate that the beautiful
      work of the artisan might not be fully recognized and appreciated in cases
      such as these. As I will never have a reign of my own, not being a
      stick-jock, but a wire wiggler myself, I will leave it to Him to satisfy His
      wishes as long as he wears the Crown. After all, if my Royal Decree the
      Crown can proclaim chocolate and strawberries, or even Jelly Bellys "period"
      and the gift of favor for their reign, they can certainly decide that award
      texts are not read in Court. Who am I to object?

      Wm of Glencoe
      MODERATOR NOTE: PLEASE SNIP YOUR POSTS TO INCLUDE ONLY THE RELEVANT BITS WHEN YOU POST thank you
    • Marc Carlson
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 1, 2005
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Davis" <bob@r...> wrote:
        > To which I reply:
        > It varies by Kingdom....

        Exactly, which is why I prefaced my statements with "In Ansteorra (I
        assume elsewhere as well, but who knows)" [BTW, I' not necessarily
        responsing to you, but to the person who's response you replied to.
        And thank you for including that in your recapitulation).

        I don't mind if people want to take offense at things I write, and
        disagree with me (I'm used to it, and goodness knows that the Society
        is big enough for different opinions). It would be nice if they
        actually -read- what was actually being said before making responses
        that have no bearing on what WAS said though (- I know, I know - not a
        reasonable request, I'm used to that too).

        Marc/Diarmaid
      • Aliskye
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 5, 2005
          In Caid, the final award scroll (as opposed to temporary ones that are
          often given out at the giving of an award (we're a backlog kingdom :) )
          is considered alegal document as they are signed by the Crown and
          sealed and signed by the Principal Herald if they include armoury.

          regards,

          aliskye

          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Dawn Malmstrom" <dawn@w...>