Re: Hiding Coolers? and Using chests as tables?

  • Marc Carlson
    Message 1 of 54 , Jul 1, 2005
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Heather Rose Jones
      <heather.jones@e...> wrote:
      > Well, no, but _someone_ at the market fair would have all those
      > things fresh for sale. It seems to me that avoiding fresh meat and
      > milk takes one as much away from a typical medieval experience as
      > bringing a cooler -- simply in a different direction. There is a
      > difference in that a no-fresh-animal-products diet is a _possible_
      > medieval experience, while a styrofoam cooler isn't. But it
      > excludes a very large chunk of medieval cookery.

      No one said to avoid these things. If you need to procure those
      items, you do what they would have done then -- buy them fresh. This
      may require that you (or someone) leave site to do it (since I have
      not seen many small groceries actually at events).

      Marc/Diarmaid
    • Andrea Huwydd Lycsenbwrg
      Message 54 of 54 , Jul 9, 2005
        A few random thoughts on fish days....

        It isn't actually necessary to assume that because
        today is a Friday in 2005, it corresponds to Friday in
        1275 or whatever (in fact, because of the calendar
        issues, it probably doesn't....)

        When did Saturday become a day of abstinence in the
        West? In the early Church, Wednesday and Friday were
        the fast days, as they still are in the Orthodox
        Church. So whether you abstain from meat on Saturday
        depends not only on where in Europe but when.

        Was a fast day counted from midnight to midnight, as
        now, or from Vespers or sundown the night before?

        A pious Christian should not have been attending a
        party during Lent (or the Nativity or Pentecost fasts)
        anyhow. If he did, though, the hospitality rule would
        supercede the fasting: you eat what you are served,
        not put the host to extra trouble to accommodate your
        fasting. And if you happen to be the host, and others
        in your party are not fasting,well, interpretations
        vary. Ask your priest. And then too, if you were
        travelling the fasting requirements would be relaxed
        to some extent.

        --- msgilliandurham <msgilliandurham@...> wrote:

        > Dairy products and eggs, as far as I can figure out,
        > were allowed
        > on "fish days" except in Lent, and maybe Advent. I'm
        > still trying to
        > figure that out -- anybody have a good source?

        I believe that is correct for Western Europe in later
        period, based on the recipes for "tarts in Ember Day"
        which include eggs and dairy. (Ember days by
        definition fall on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.) I
        seem also to recall references in cookbooks to "fish
        days not in Lent" which imply that eggs and dairy
        would be acceptable.

        So there are plenty of ways not to fast during events
        while being a pious and observant medieval Roman
        Catholic. (Or Eastern Orthodox.) If you need to
        observe the fasting regulations mundanely, well,
        that's beyond the limits of this list, although I
        would be interested in discussing it offlist with
        anyone who has dealt with the issue.

        That said, an authentic Ember Day feast would be a lot
        of fun, at least once.

        Andrea

        http://auctions.yahoo.com/