Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Hiding Coolers? and Using chests as tables?

  • Amy Heilveil
    Message 1 of 54 , Jul 1, 2005
      Urtatim,

      My post was not directed at you personally.

      It was in frustration for all of the times and all of the people who
      come here looking for a 'good enough' way to do things and bemoaning
      that list members often expect them to be able to do without their
      coffee (which is not period for the vast majority of SCA persona) and
      other modern convienences and tastes for (what often amounts to) an
      entire day or weekend (usually consisting of Friday evening, all day
      Saturday, and Sunday morning so not even three full days).

      The 'which is better, hiding the cooler under a table under a cloth or
      just tossing a cloth over the cooler' question is one I see as such a
      post, though I am aware that the original poster may not have been
      speaking of themself but rather looking for ways in which to encourage
      a bit more authentic feel to those who do feel the need to bring a
      cooler to events.

      I tend to not attack people personally on this or any other public
      forum, I'd rather discuss with a person privately if I have a problem
      with them. I would not have lasted on this forum for the past few
      years were I to attack a person in the manner you suggested I did and
      I certainly would not be one of the moderators.

      Cu respectivo,
      Despina de la sometimes 'you' means 'y'all' - darned English language
    • Andrea Huwydd Lycsenbwrg
      Message 54 of 54 , Jul 9, 2005
        A few random thoughts on fish days....

        It isn't actually necessary to assume that because
        today is a Friday in 2005, it corresponds to Friday in
        1275 or whatever (in fact, because of the calendar
        issues, it probably doesn't....)

        When did Saturday become a day of abstinence in the
        West? In the early Church, Wednesday and Friday were
        the fast days, as they still are in the Orthodox
        Church. So whether you abstain from meat on Saturday
        depends not only on where in Europe but when.

        Was a fast day counted from midnight to midnight, as
        now, or from Vespers or sundown the night before?

        A pious Christian should not have been attending a
        party during Lent (or the Nativity or Pentecost fasts)
        anyhow. If he did, though, the hospitality rule would
        supercede the fasting: you eat what you are served,
        not put the host to extra trouble to accommodate your
        fasting. And if you happen to be the host, and others
        in your party are not fasting,well, interpretations
        vary. Ask your priest. And then too, if you were
        travelling the fasting requirements would be relaxed
        to some extent.

        --- msgilliandurham <msgilliandurham@...> wrote:

        > Dairy products and eggs, as far as I can figure out,
        > were allowed
        > on "fish days" except in Lent, and maybe Advent. I'm
        > still trying to
        > figure that out -- anybody have a good source?

        I believe that is correct for Western Europe in later
        period, based on the recipes for "tarts in Ember Day"
        which include eggs and dairy. (Ember days by
        definition fall on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.) I
        seem also to recall references in cookbooks to "fish
        days not in Lent" which imply that eggs and dairy
        would be acceptable.

        So there are plenty of ways not to fast during events
        while being a pious and observant medieval Roman
        Catholic. (Or Eastern Orthodox.) If you need to
        observe the fasting regulations mundanely, well,
        that's beyond the limits of this list, although I
        would be interested in discussing it offlist with
        anyone who has dealt with the issue.

        That said, an authentic Ember Day feast would be a lot
        of fun, at least once.

        Andrea

        http://auctions.yahoo.com/