SCA feast-I need advice!!!

  • shelbylady123
    Message 1 of 40 , Jun 26, 2005
      I am relatively new to the SCA, although I have been friends with
      people who have been members for many years. I have been to several
      events and was really impressed by their feasts. I have heard some
      horriffic tales about the "feast" served at our local event in past
      years (we're talking about ramen noodles and Dinty Moore Beef
      Stew...*shudder*). Note: I personally have not had the feast at this
      event. I absolutely LOVE to cook for large groups of people and
      would love to assist or run the feast next year. Heres where I am
      having difficulty. When I say large groups I mean like 20 people. I
      have never even contemplated a feast for upwards of like 150+ (I know
      that the number can get much higher than that too.)

      I have spoken briefly to the senechal of my group and he said that
      they had attempted to do a pig roast many years ago but it was just
      too overwhelming. Since then, they have contracted the "feast" to a
      local catering group I think out of convienience. These are the
      people who served the above mentioned "feast" *shudders again* I
      really would like to do this for my group! I need some advice on
      possibly how to address this issue more thouroghly within my group,
      ask the proper questions, and also how to plan a feast that is period
      fit for a LARGE number of people.

      Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Please email me directly
      at: shelbylady123@... attn: SCA feast

      FYI: The feast is not until next year in May so I do have time to
      learn and feel like that is a good enought time to prepare for it and
      not be overwhelmed by a time crunch.

      Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
    • Adele de Maisieres
      Message 40 of 40 , Jul 5 2:22 PM
        bronwynmgn@... wrote:

        >My method for dealing with allergies and vegetarians and food dislikes is
        >all the same:
        >
        >I plan my menus so that no more than 1/3 of the total number of dishes
        >contain the same ingredient.

        I think that's actually good cooking as well as good allergy planning--
        afterall, people don't want to eat fifteen dishes that all taste the same.

        >I find that people in my area very rarely will contact the cook about food
        >allergies or needs - I think I've had two do it over the course of 8 or so
        >feasts I've cooked.

        I absolutely expect people to contact me ahead if they have special food
        needs. If people don't do it, it needs to be added in large letters to
        any feast publicity.

        >I have worked in kitchens where the cook has made special
        >portions for people with allergies and I find it altogether too complicated and
        >time-consuming to do on a regular basis.

        Whether I make anything special depends on what I'm making to begin with
        and what the allergies are. Sometimes it's purely a matter of making up
        an ingredients list and having the servers call the attention of anyone
        with allergies to it-- other times, it's making something extra.
        Somethimes I can kill several birds with one stone by making an extra
        dish that will suit people with more than one allergy or food
        preference. Basically, I try to make sure that no-one gets left out of
        any substantial portion of the meal, _not_ that there are seperate
        portions and alternates for each and every little thing.

        --
        Adele de Maisieres

        Quot homines, tot sententiae.