Re: [Authentic_SCA] Digest Number 2889

  • DawnsHebog@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 9, 2005
      Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:
      wondering what everyone's feel is
      Being that lorica is pretty much a given for later period "early" fighters, I
      made one out of leather. I cover this with an ibex hide (which helps slide
      off those nasty shoulder blows).
      Last year I went to a tunic that I hand embroidered my "device" onto.
      This covers everything on the torso, and the legs I usually cheat by wearing
      no coverings (things can get pretty hot in the middle of Border Raids). I try
      to stick to cottons, and other natural substances.
      My next rig will be pre-quilted cotton with pockets for waxed, or boiled
      leather plates. I will have some low profile cops, and pauldrons made, and then
      cover with riveted chain.
      For the legs, I will use the leather ones i waxed, and get segmented knees.
      I will probably cover these with an under kilt, or undertunic that hangs
      below the knee so that only my shin guards show.
      I am still working on my handmade pre-period combat boot design.
      I think, personally, that authenticty is important, and that is you are going
      to wear modern footwear you should at least spend $20 on some cheap suede to
      make spats, or moccasin covers.
      I have worked for many years to get to where I am, and I don't judge anyone
      by there garb, my first was a wrap around sarong, and a split Roman tunic (he
      had no further need of it).
      There are those that want the same quality as the Civil War guys get, but
      they forget that most people in the SCA are actually quite poor.
      Also, some periods, and/or places are hard to document.
      Therefore, wear what you will, I wear sweats to fighter practice, and
      sometimes in a battle, but they are cheap.
      However, I work hard to give the impression that I am totally in period
      costume. I wear as close to period as possible, within reasonable safety, and I
      maintain a torso requirement that looks well beyond "authentic." For my legs I
      use the 10' rule, "If it looks good at ten feet, let the laurels decide."
      I have fun, and hope everyone else does too.
      Frankly, you all look like Romans to me, from this side of the line anyway,
      so I don't care what you wear.

      Creative visualization at work.

      "The multiplicity of methods of skinning a cat is of little comfort to the
      feline involved."

    • Lady_Lark_Azure
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 10, 2005
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, DawnsHebog@a... wrote:

        > My next rig will be pre-quilted cotton with pockets for waxed, or
        boiled
        > leather plates.

        If you're talking commercial pre-quilted cotton, realize that most of
        that is done with poly-fiberfill and will not breathe very well. If
        you're just saying it will be quilted before the pockets are made, do
        yourself a favor and use linen, or a linen weave silk, with a cotton
        batting--it's much stronger, so it will stand up to the abuse much
        better.