Re: Blankets

  • Julie Stackable, SCA Margaret Hepburn
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 8, 2005
      I've been researching domestic interiors specifically for me -
      era/persona (1570's Scotland). Looking in manuscripts, wills &
      inventories mostly (not a lot of illuminated manuscripts for this
      era & place unfortunately!) What I've got so far? Pillows and
      bolsters, pillow cases looking just like modern ones (taking
      advantage of selvedges for the edges), sheets are almost always
      listed in pairs (top and bottom, no gathered elastic obviously),
      quilted coverlets, plain embroidered coverlets (sort of like a 2nd
      decorated top sheet), fur lined coverlets, pillow biers (sort of
      equivalent to a pillow sham), straw filled mattresses, down and
      feather filled mattresses, lots of cushion covers in you name it -
      quilting & embroidery - basically whatever you can put textile-wise
      on a cushion. Also, don't forget the curtains and valances that
      typically enclose a bed - I've found simple lined woollen ones to
      expensive silk and velvet embroidery covered ones. Plus hangings for
      the walls to help enclose heat & keep out damp - again, plain,
      embroidered, painted, you name it.

      Domestic interiors were a favorite in the illuminated manuscripts,
      you should find a wealth of detail for the era you are looking for.
      Good luck.
      Cheers,
      Margaret Hepburn

      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Farmer" <sfarmer@s...>
      wrote:
      > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "George Irvin"
      <jmcdade@p...> wrote:
      > > Greetings Everyone
      > > I have a general question that I trust someone has an answer
      to.
      > What were common bed coverings in Western Europe in the Middle
      ages?
      > Sheets, Blankets, Pillows/Bolsters. Does anyone know of extent
      > examples? Were might I start this particular
      > investigation?...suggestons anyone?
      > > I remain
      > > James Irvin
    • nprive1
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 8, 2005
        > I have a general question that I trust someone has an answer to.
        What were common bed coverings in Western Europe in the Middle ages?
        Sheets, Blankets, Pillows/Bolsters. Does anyone know of extent
        examples? Were might I start this particular
        investigation?...suggestons anyone?

        I recommend _The Book of Fine Linen_ by FRANCOISE DE BONNEVILLE as an
        overview - you may be able to find it thru ILL. It has lengthy
        discussions of the history of household linens (mostly focusing on
        hemp, linen, and cotton items), and makes a nice overview. The
        illustrations are mouthwatering, too :)

        MODERATOR NOTE: PLEASE SIGN YOUR POSTS