Re: Blankets

  • Susan Farmer
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 7, 2005
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "George Irvin" <jmcdade@p...> wrote:
      > Greetings Everyone
      > I have a general question that I trust someone has an answer to.
      What were common bed coverings in Western Europe in the Middle ages?
      Sheets, Blankets, Pillows/Bolsters. Does anyone know of extent
      examples? Were might I start this particular
      investigation?...suggestons anyone?
      > I remain
      > James Irvin

      One realy good place to look is "The Italian Renaissance interior,
      1400-1600" by Peter Thornton.

      Lovely artwork -- useful information.

      Jerusha
    • Julie Stackable, SCA Margaret Hepburn
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 8, 2005
        I've been researching domestic interiors specifically for me -
        era/persona (1570's Scotland). Looking in manuscripts, wills &
        inventories mostly (not a lot of illuminated manuscripts for this
        era & place unfortunately!) What I've got so far? Pillows and
        bolsters, pillow cases looking just like modern ones (taking
        advantage of selvedges for the edges), sheets are almost always
        listed in pairs (top and bottom, no gathered elastic obviously),
        quilted coverlets, plain embroidered coverlets (sort of like a 2nd
        decorated top sheet), fur lined coverlets, pillow biers (sort of
        equivalent to a pillow sham), straw filled mattresses, down and
        feather filled mattresses, lots of cushion covers in you name it -
        quilting & embroidery - basically whatever you can put textile-wise
        on a cushion. Also, don't forget the curtains and valances that
        typically enclose a bed - I've found simple lined woollen ones to
        expensive silk and velvet embroidery covered ones. Plus hangings for
        the walls to help enclose heat & keep out damp - again, plain,
        embroidered, painted, you name it.

        Domestic interiors were a favorite in the illuminated manuscripts,
        you should find a wealth of detail for the era you are looking for.
        Good luck.
        Cheers,
        Margaret Hepburn

        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Farmer" <sfarmer@s...>
        wrote:
        > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "George Irvin"
        <jmcdade@p...> wrote:
        > > Greetings Everyone
        > > I have a general question that I trust someone has an answer
        to.
        > What were common bed coverings in Western Europe in the Middle
        ages?
        > Sheets, Blankets, Pillows/Bolsters. Does anyone know of extent
        > examples? Were might I start this particular
        > investigation?...suggestons anyone?
        > > I remain
        > > James Irvin
      • nprive1
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 8, 2005
          > I have a general question that I trust someone has an answer to.
          What were common bed coverings in Western Europe in the Middle ages?
          Sheets, Blankets, Pillows/Bolsters. Does anyone know of extent
          examples? Were might I start this particular
          investigation?...suggestons anyone?

          I recommend _The Book of Fine Linen_ by FRANCOISE DE BONNEVILLE as an
          overview - you may be able to find it thru ILL. It has lengthy
          discussions of the history of household linens (mostly focusing on
          hemp, linen, and cotton items), and makes a nice overview. The
          illustrations are mouthwatering, too :)

          MODERATOR NOTE: PLEASE SIGN YOUR POSTS