Re: [Authentic_SCA] Far Eastern,Middle Eastern Dance

  • Katherine Throckmorton
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 6, 2005
      Bahareh of Kashmir wrote:

      > Bahareh here,question,are far eastern and middle eastern dance
      > considered approriate at SCA events.?I`ve been told they are
      > considered
      > in the fantasy relm, is this true.

      The answer to your question is a resounding "it depends". There are a large number of dancers in the SCA for whom the SCA appears to be mainly a venue in which to persue their interest in cabaret and American Tribal style mid-eastern dance. What they are doing isn't really appropriate for the SCA and from time to time some impolitic soul will tell them so. The general reception though, ranges from toleration to acceptance.

      There are also a large number of dancers who are really interested in historic styles of dance (and who will be the first to tell you how difficult this kind of research can be) and who also tend to be interested in researching and recreating things other than dance. These people *are* doing something that is arguably appropriate to the SCA. They may occasionally get caught up in the debate about wether Non-European personas belong in the SCA, but that debate has nothing to do with their being dancers. I would note that this debate has also pretty much been settled in favor of allowing in non-Europeans.

      -Katherine/Asma

      Every weekend, we gather hundreds of people together, none of whom have had enough sleep.
      -Robin's Unified Theory of SCA Dynamics

      http://datingsearch.lycos.com