Re: [Authentic_SCA] Blankets

  • Amy Heilveil
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
      Wills and inventories, of course! Look through those as well.

      There has been conversation about this on this list before, so I would
      also recommend the archives of the group. The links and files
      sections of the group are also a trove of information.

      Smiles,
      Despina
    • Tom Rettie
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "George Irvin" <jmcdade@p...> wrote:

        > I have a general question that I trust someone has an answer to. What were common
        bed coverings in Western Europe in the Middle ages? Sheets, Blankets, Pillows/Bolsters.
        Does anyone know of extent examples? Were might I start this particular
        investigation?...suggestons anyone?

        You may find this article helpful:

        http://oak.atlantia.sca.org/18/18bedofware.pdf

        Regards,

        Fin
      • Susan Farmer
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 7, 2005
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "George Irvin" <jmcdade@p...> wrote:
          > Greetings Everyone
          > I have a general question that I trust someone has an answer to.
          What were common bed coverings in Western Europe in the Middle ages?
          Sheets, Blankets, Pillows/Bolsters. Does anyone know of extent
          examples? Were might I start this particular
          investigation?...suggestons anyone?
          > I remain
          > James Irvin

          One realy good place to look is "The Italian Renaissance interior,
          1400-1600" by Peter Thornton.

          Lovely artwork -- useful information.

          Jerusha
        • Julie Stackable, SCA Margaret Hepburn
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 8, 2005
            I've been researching domestic interiors specifically for me -
            era/persona (1570's Scotland). Looking in manuscripts, wills &
            inventories mostly (not a lot of illuminated manuscripts for this
            era & place unfortunately!) What I've got so far? Pillows and
            bolsters, pillow cases looking just like modern ones (taking
            advantage of selvedges for the edges), sheets are almost always
            listed in pairs (top and bottom, no gathered elastic obviously),
            quilted coverlets, plain embroidered coverlets (sort of like a 2nd
            decorated top sheet), fur lined coverlets, pillow biers (sort of
            equivalent to a pillow sham), straw filled mattresses, down and
            feather filled mattresses, lots of cushion covers in you name it -
            quilting & embroidery - basically whatever you can put textile-wise
            on a cushion. Also, don't forget the curtains and valances that
            typically enclose a bed - I've found simple lined woollen ones to
            expensive silk and velvet embroidery covered ones. Plus hangings for
            the walls to help enclose heat & keep out damp - again, plain,
            embroidered, painted, you name it.

            Domestic interiors were a favorite in the illuminated manuscripts,
            you should find a wealth of detail for the era you are looking for.
            Good luck.
            Cheers,
            Margaret Hepburn

            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Farmer" <sfarmer@s...>
            wrote:
            > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "George Irvin"
            <jmcdade@p...> wrote:
            > > Greetings Everyone
            > > I have a general question that I trust someone has an answer
            to.
            > What were common bed coverings in Western Europe in the Middle
            ages?
            > Sheets, Blankets, Pillows/Bolsters. Does anyone know of extent
            > examples? Were might I start this particular
            > investigation?...suggestons anyone?
            > > I remain
            > > James Irvin
          • nprive1
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 8, 2005
              > I have a general question that I trust someone has an answer to.
              What were common bed coverings in Western Europe in the Middle ages?
              Sheets, Blankets, Pillows/Bolsters. Does anyone know of extent
              examples? Were might I start this particular
              investigation?...suggestons anyone?

              I recommend _The Book of Fine Linen_ by FRANCOISE DE BONNEVILLE as an
              overview - you may be able to find it thru ILL. It has lengthy
              discussions of the history of household linens (mostly focusing on
              hemp, linen, and cotton items), and makes a nice overview. The
              illustrations are mouthwatering, too :)

              MODERATOR NOTE: PLEASE SIGN YOUR POSTS