Re: [Authentic_SCA] Help! Please? re: Alcega cordedfarthingale

  • Jeff Gedney
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2005
      >This may have to do with the weight of the fabric and/or the >materials that you are using for the cording.

      A big part of the problem might be the way the rope is made and stored before you use it.

      Sisal and manilla rope is usually sold in small reels or hanks of a foot or less in diameter, and the long storage tends to "set" the curve into the rope.

      If you are using rope, try to get it from a ship's chandlery off the BIG reels they use. That might be difficult, since most chandleries now specialize in poly rope instead of natural fiber, and if you live inland, you are out of luck anyway.

      The most recommended method that is given by experienced riggers to remove the set of the rope is to re-wind it in the opposite direction before you use it. This is tough to describe without visuals, but if it naturally turns right when you lay it down you wind it up to the left.

      The other thing that I recommend is to lay out the rope, and as you let it out twist it "open", and let it fall back into place it and then let it relax a few days. I find that rolling the rope like making a clay snake is the most convenient method.

      You might also want to try making a large circle of rope out of three lengths of smaller ones for your hoop.

      That I'd have to to show you, I don't think I can describe it here adequately but, basically you take a lentgh of small rope about 3.25 time the circumference you are going to need, and make a loop slightly larger than you need at one end, and then snake smoothly the remaining length arounf the rope in the loop, and then again when you get to the start, tucking in the third run bewtween the others to make what looks like a thisck but endless circle of rope. This is a grommet.

      If you go to http://www.hmsrichmond.org/knots.htm and look for
      "making a fiber grommet" near the bottom of the page you can get the idea (in a much smaller scale, of course).

      Instead of trying to knot off the loose ends, it will be easier to just cut off whatever excess there is, and bind the loose ends up under a tight wrapping of twine.
      With a little practice, you can get the tension on the twists just right as to hold it shape without getting all funky.

      Capt Elias
      -Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas

      - Help! I am being pecked to death by the Ducks of Dilletanteism!
      There are SO damn many more things I want to try in the SCA
      than I can possibly have time for. It's killing me!!!

      Upon the hempen tackle ship-boys climbing;
      Hear the shrill whistle which doth order give
      To sounds confused; behold the threaden sails,
      Borne with the invisible and creeping wind,
      Draw the huge bottoms through the furrow'd sea,
      Breasting the lofty surge: O, do but think
      You stand upon the ravage and behold
      A city on the inconstant billows dancing;
      For so appears this fleet majestical,
      Holding due course to Harfleur.
      - Shakespeare - Henry V, Act III, Prologue