RE: [Authentic_SCA] Re: A&S Tokens?

  • Wanda Pease
    Message 1 of 12 , May 31 10:48 PM
      Personally, they are all these things except a prize for winning. Mainly
      an acknowledgement of "cool stuff".

      Regina
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 1, 2005
        Just as a follow up to the original question about ideas for A&S
        tokens - I found some very cool bells in and amongst all my stuff,
        lucetted some silk cord, and tied them to a card that complimented the
        work and included my name and email address. That last part was
        particularly important to me, since I would want to know who left the
        token if I had something on display.

        Thanks to everyone for the ideas!
        Violante
        http://www.spanishpeacock.com/violante.htm
      • Heather Murray
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 1, 2005
          > **Perhaps I'm being dense, but what are the leaving tokens for? Is it a way of voting on what displays you like? A thank you for showing
          > things? A small prize for winning? I've not heard of this custom
          > before, at least in my area, so I'm curious.
          >
          > WhiteRaven

          Well, here, it usually means, "Wow, your work here is an inspiration to me. Thanks so much for sharing. Please accept this token of my esteem."

          "dona_violante" wrote:
          > > Greetings, all! Just wondering what other people are leaving for
          > > tokens at A&S displays. I haven't been leaving anything to date
          > > because frankly, I couldn't think up something that was period, and appropriate, and cool enough to be worth the effort to make. I
          > can'tjust leave silver maravedis... ;)

          Whoof! Thanks for the reminder! I need to make some tokens up KA&S is
          this weekend! Or just buy some chocolate bits - d'ja know they've got
          dark chocolate M&Ms? They're rather respectable. Maybe I'll get a bag
          and dispense into silk....

          Margaret Northwode
        • Amy Heilveil
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 1, 2005
            Tokens are usually given at an A&S DISPLAY as a gesture to show that
            someone thought that the widget on the table is cool. Someone who
            specializes in the making of glass beads might make some that are
            specifically to give out on these occasions... another person who
            makes books, might bind several small and simple blank books for this
            reason.... a lace maker might make a bookmark or small cuff lengths...
            the ideas are endless and limited only by imagination and talent of
            the person wishing to acknowledge what they find interesting, cool,
            and beautiful.

            There is another type of thing called a "Bean Count" wherein, the
            person with the most "beans" at the end of the predetermined time
            period is the 'winner' and usually gets a prize from the event staff.
            These usually have 'beans' available when one enters the 'display'
            area and one can 'vote' with their 'beans' for the 'winner'. This is
            a competition of sorts, but it is sometimes looked on more favorably
            than a structured A&S competition because the 'people' are voting.
            Unfortunately, what often happens is glitz wins over substance; this
            is not always, just often and this is what deters many from
            participating in 'bean count' style 'displays'.

            I hope this is of help rather than confusion.

            Smiles,
            Despina