Re: [Authentic_SCA] Regional issues (re: SCA Time Frame response)

  • Mary Taran
    Message 1 of 10 , May 19, 2005
      At 12:21 PM 5/19/2005, you wrote:

      >--- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, lilinah@e... wrote:
      > >>But the Arabic and the Japanese do not? Never mind, separate
      > >>issue.
      > > Uh, err, ahem...
      > > There were significant Muslim territories *within* Europe in "SCA
      > > period"...
      >
      >Which is why I didn't say "Muslim". I made reference to a *specific*
      >Islamic ethicity that appears frequently in the SCA [Note for the
      >illiterate - I'm not saying that they shouldn't appear in the SCA, my
      >point was that Native America/Indian personas, as a rule, tend to
      >disturb people in the SCA (yes, yes, I know there are individuals who
      >pull it off, which doesn't, in fact, invalidate the point) when
      >personas based on Japanese, Chinese, Indian, Arab, Persian, and
      >similar cultures aren't even blinked at.
      >
      >The only reason I can think of for this is plain old American white
      >guilt, which is ... unfortunate.
      >
      >Marc/Diarmaid
      When the SCA and I were both young, the way the Japanese, etc. cultures
      snuck in the back door was by the concept that any culture with significant
      contact with Western Europe was fair game. There were a few Native
      Americans, a few Aztecs, etc. However, it was difficult to substantiate
      the significant contact concept with the American cultures once they made
      it more specific that the idea was of a "foreign national" attending a
      Western European court (a distinction that is often ignored by the current
      membership of the SCA), as the bulk of the Americans at European courts
      were there against their will.

      Yes, Mrs. John Rolfe is a notable exception.

      Mary Taran