ancient methods of polishing more effective than modern

  • jeffrey.heilveil@ndsu.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , May 18, 2005
      I think my favorite part of this really cool article about the use of
      diamonds in polishing, in spite of starting a sentence with a conjunction,
      is:

      "However, even with the best modern polishing technologies available, the
      research team could not achieve a surface as flat and smooth as that on
      the ancient axe."

      The Article is:

      Chinese made first use of diamond
      Stone age craftsmen in China were polishing jade objects using diamond
      2,000 years before anyone else had the same idea, new evidence suggests.

      Jeffrey S. Heilveil, Ph.D.
      Postdoctoral Fellow
      Department of Biological Sciences
      North Dakota State University