Re: Climate

  • Marc Lauterbach
    Message 1 of 15 , May 2, 2005
      Hi again. My apologies if I sounded defensive, I didn't mean to come
      off that way at all :) I'm glad you like the site and yes, I totally
      agree that too many people use the excuse "well America is too hot to
      wear wool" to get away with sloppy costuming. I have done both WWI and
      Rev War reenacting in addition to SCA stuff, so I hear it all the
      time ;) In any case, my response to those people is that usually linen
      and wool are actually nicer than many modern fabrics. When we do our
      thing at Colonial Williamsburg and ppl ask us if we're hot my response
      is generally "yes, but probably not as hot. at least my clothes
      breath." So I apologize for any misunderstanding! :)
      Best Regards,
      Marc
    • julian wilson
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 18, 2005
        Greetings, good Gentles All,
        Our Group is in need of a set of replica-mediæval chessmen to use in our displays next year. Some of our Companions who haven't yet worked-up little exhibits of their own, do play chess. And with Caxton's 1474 translation & printing in English of the "Gayme and Playe of Chesse" - [which by all accounts I have read so far, turned into a mediæval "best-seller"]; - it would be entirely appropriate for some of our Group to play a game or two of chess as a mini-display before the MoP.
        The problem is that - despite extensive internet researches - and I freely admit I'm probably using the wrong " search words" - I cannot find any examples of mediævaL period sets apart from the one "everyone" seems to cite - the isle of Lewis chessmen.
        Surely there must be other surving sets from the mediæval period?
        And surely, - with so many mediæval re-enactors worldwide - some merchant[s] si/are offering other replica sets at prices that won't require we "mortgage our souls" in order to acquire such a thing?
        There are lots of other "in-period" games available, and we've bought-in some of those; we've even bought-in replica sets of mediæval playing cards - 4 different designs if I recal correctly. But no-one knows how to play the games in the accompanying instructions.
        At least with Chess, a number of Companions already know how to play, - and so all we'd need is "in-period" Chessmen.
        But other mediæval-chessmen replicas than those from the Isle of Lewis "find"? - Zilch !
        If any Listers also know of a modern replica-reprint of the Caxton book - we'd also like to have details, so that we can try to obtain a copy, for display. Yes, I know about the Project Gutenberg online version - but I'm hoping someone has done a not-to-expensive "replica reprint" that won't look too anachronistic, on-show by the Chess players.
        If Listers can suggest possible sources of supply for either or both items, our Companions will be very grateful.

        Peace be with you All, this Feast of St. Anselm; and God's Benison be upon your Houses and your Works now, - and until The Judgement.

        Yours in service,
        Julian Wilson,
        [aka. Messire Matthew Baker/Matthieu Besquer, Governor & Castellan of Jersey, 1486-1497: - "Si vis pacem, para bellum"]
        late-medieval Re-enactor; & Historian and Master Artisan to
        "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
        [the only medieval living-history Group
        in "olde" Jersey]

      • lenastrid
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 19, 2005
          I have never seen any chessmen set except the Lewis one. Perhaps your best bet is to ask
          museums for images of any chessmen they have (dated to the period of your choice), and
          see if there are any bone/woodworker that can make replicas for you.

          But if you do find somewhere that sells medieval replicas, let us know. I'm sure there are
          more than you out there that are interested.

          /Lena

          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, julian wilson <smnco37@y...> wrote:

          > Greetings, good Gentles All,
          > Our Group is in need of a set of replica-mediæval chessmen to use in our displays next
          year. Some of our Companions who haven't yet worked-up little exhibits of their own, do
          play chess. And with Caxton's 1474 translation & printing in English of the "Gayme and
          Playe of Chesse" - [which by all accounts I have read so far, turned into a mediæval "best-
          seller"]; - it would be entirely appropriate for some of our Group to play a game or two of
          chess as a mini-display before the MoP.
          > The problem is that - despite extensive internet researches - and I freely admit I'm
          probably using the wrong " search words" - I cannot find any examples of mediævaL
          period sets apart from the one "everyone" seems to cite - the isle of Lewis chessmen.
          > Surely there must be other surving sets from the mediæval period?
          > And surely, - with so many mediæval re-enactors worldwide - some merchant[s] si/
          are offering other replica sets at prices that won't require we "mortgage our souls" in order
          to acquire such a thing?
          > There are lots of other "in-period" games available, and we've bought-in some of
          those; we've even bought-in replica sets of mediæval playing cards - 4 different designs if
          I recal correctly. But no-one knows how to play the games in the accompanying
          instructions.
          > At least with Chess, a number of Companions already know how to play, - and so all
          we'd need is "in-period" Chessmen.
          > But other mediæval-chessmen replicas than those from the Isle of Lewis "find"? - Zilch
          !
          > If any Listers also know of a modern replica-reprint of the Caxton book - we'd also like
          to have details, so that we can try to obtain a copy, for display. Yes, I know about the
          Project Gutenberg online version - but I'm hoping someone has done a not-to-expensive
          "replica reprint" that won't look too anachronistic, on-show by the Chess players.
          > If Listers can suggest possible sources of supply for either or both items, our
          Companions will be very grateful.

          > Peace be with you All, this Feast of St. Anselm; and God's Benison be upon your Houses
          and your Works now, - and until The Judgement.

          > Yours in service,
          > Julian Wilson,
          > [aka. Messire Matthew Baker/Matthieu Besquer, Governor & Castellan of Jersey,
          1486-1497: - "Si vis pacem, para bellum"]
          > late-medieval Re-enactor; & Historian and Master Artisan to
          > "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
          > [the only medieval living-history Group
          > in "olde" Jersey]

        • wodeford
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 19, 2005
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, julian wilson <smnco37@y...> wrote:
            > Surely there must be other surving sets from the mediæval period?
            Entire sets? Individual pieces pop up in museum collections.
            I found these by Googling "medieval chess." While I had to wade
            through some shlock, I did find these links which might be of use:

            http://www.warehouse23.com/item.html?id=W23-9002 has a reproduction
            set which for once is not the Lewis chessmen, though it's
            stylistically similar.

            http://www.chesscentral.com/sets-pieces-chess/chess-pieces.htm

            http://www.crumiller.com/chess/chess_pages/chess_medieval_pieces.htm

            http://history.chess.free.fr/findings.htm which includes images of a
            marvelous French set from St. Denis, complete with elephants! I'd
            never seen these before.

            Cheers,
            Jehanne de Wodeford, West Kingdom