Re: [Authentic_SCA] Digest Number 2856

  • DawnsHebog@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2005
      In a message dated 5/2/05 12:59:27 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
      Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:
      It was my understanding that the Kinsale cloak is from the 1700's, not the
      700's. Where did you get the earlier figure?
      The info was in the pattern booklet from a historical garment pattern
      company, I can't remember, but they are a big name, and rather accurate.
      To the person about the brat, yes, that was in existence also, but the dating
      is set from a stone in northern Ireland (damned moving boxes got lost in the
      garage). The Kinsale as we know it today came around in the 17th century, but
      the hooded cloak in question started as a unisex garment of about 9 yards, and
      was developed because of the weather. Wool being insular when wet, the cloak
      was like wearing a sleeping bag.
      I wish I remembered the name of the pattern co. I know the history is in it,
      and should I find it I'll post it entir.
      Thank you for the info about the Greeks, the Romans had two cloaks, and they
      used a hooded wool felt circular cloak with a hood for winter (this was soaked
      in sheep fat for water retardation, yuckywhew I feel faint already).
      Thank you all,
      Hawk

      "The multiplicity of methods of skinning a cat is of little comfort to the
      feline involved."