Re: Climate

  • Marc Lauterbach
    Message 1 of 15 , May 2, 2005
      Actually, I found a fascinating website from the USDA that has a map
      of Europe's climactic zones and comparisons with the weather in avrious
      areas of the United States. How similar the modern European climate is
      to what it was like in the middle ages is of course anybody's guess,
      however I would venture to say that on the whole the average
      temperatures during the high middle ages were probably a few degrees
      celcius warmer.
      http://www.usda.gov/oce/waob/jawf/profiles/html/eur/eurclim.htm
    • Wanda Pease
      Message 2 of 15 , May 2, 2005
        Mark,

        What a nifty site! Thank you!

        The remark about Europe being completely surrounded by water just struck
        my funny bone. Certainly did not mean my answer as a put down. Climates
        have fluxgate by quite a bit in the last 2,000 years or so. Your Greenland
        analogy is well taken. Check out "Woven Into the Earth" as a good example
        of the shifts that Greenlanders had to make over their 1000 year history.

        Actually, the Vikings (or those whose job description was "viking") did
        dress differently when they got to Sicily, or even Byzantium. However they
        were the sea peoples. My question of your statement also comes when you get
        into Europe, away from the sea coasts. This is why I mention Bavaria,
        Bohemia, most of what we now call Germany and Austria. I live in Portland,
        Oregon. I lived in Frankfurt am Main, Germany for many years. The climate
        here is very similar. Lots of Rain (capital R) and very little snow.
        Portland is at 45 degrees and Frankfurt is at 50 degrees latitude.
        Frankfurt is a ways away from the ocean, but on the Main River.

        Yes things have changed in Europe. Yes places in the US are different
        climatically than England, Italy and Greece. However, each of those places
        has occasional HOT Muggy summers (2002 comes to mind).

        As I said, usually the excuse that the US has different climates is to
        enable people to run around in completely inauthentic "for their persona"
        garb rather than research and make what they would really have worn or done.

        Regina
        Message 3 of 15 , May 2, 2005
          Hi again. My apologies if I sounded defensive, I didn't mean to come
          off that way at all :) I'm glad you like the site and yes, I totally
          agree that too many people use the excuse "well America is too hot to
          wear wool" to get away with sloppy costuming. I have done both WWI and
          Rev War reenacting in addition to SCA stuff, so I hear it all the
          time ;) In any case, my response to those people is that usually linen
          and wool are actually nicer than many modern fabrics. When we do our
          thing at Colonial Williamsburg and ppl ask us if we're hot my response
          is generally "yes, but probably not as hot. at least my clothes
          breath." So I apologize for any misunderstanding! :)
          Best Regards,
          Marc
        • julian wilson
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 18, 2005
            Greetings, good Gentles All,
            Our Group is in need of a set of replica-mediæval chessmen to use in our displays next year. Some of our Companions who haven't yet worked-up little exhibits of their own, do play chess. And with Caxton's 1474 translation & printing in English of the "Gayme and Playe of Chesse" - [which by all accounts I have read so far, turned into a mediæval "best-seller"]; - it would be entirely appropriate for some of our Group to play a game or two of chess as a mini-display before the MoP.
            The problem is that - despite extensive internet researches - and I freely admit I'm probably using the wrong " search words" - I cannot find any examples of mediævaL period sets apart from the one "everyone" seems to cite - the isle of Lewis chessmen.
            Surely there must be other surving sets from the mediæval period?
            And surely, - with so many mediæval re-enactors worldwide - some merchant[s] si/are offering other replica sets at prices that won't require we "mortgage our souls" in order to acquire such a thing?
            There are lots of other "in-period" games available, and we've bought-in some of those; we've even bought-in replica sets of mediæval playing cards - 4 different designs if I recal correctly. But no-one knows how to play the games in the accompanying instructions.
            At least with Chess, a number of Companions already know how to play, - and so all we'd need is "in-period" Chessmen.
            But other mediæval-chessmen replicas than those from the Isle of Lewis "find"? - Zilch !
            If any Listers also know of a modern replica-reprint of the Caxton book - we'd also like to have details, so that we can try to obtain a copy, for display. Yes, I know about the Project Gutenberg online version - but I'm hoping someone has done a not-to-expensive "replica reprint" that won't look too anachronistic, on-show by the Chess players.
            If Listers can suggest possible sources of supply for either or both items, our Companions will be very grateful.

            Peace be with you All, this Feast of St. Anselm; and God's Benison be upon your Houses and your Works now, - and until The Judgement.

            Yours in service,
            Julian Wilson,
            [aka. Messire Matthew Baker/Matthieu Besquer, Governor & Castellan of Jersey, 1486-1497: - "Si vis pacem, para bellum"]
            late-medieval Re-enactor; & Historian and Master Artisan to
            "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
            [the only medieval living-history Group
            in "olde" Jersey]

          • lenastrid
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 19, 2005
              I have never seen any chessmen set except the Lewis one. Perhaps your best bet is to ask
              museums for images of any chessmen they have (dated to the period of your choice), and
              see if there are any bone/woodworker that can make replicas for you.

              But if you do find somewhere that sells medieval replicas, let us know. I'm sure there are
              more than you out there that are interested.

              /Lena

              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, julian wilson <smnco37@y...> wrote:

              > Greetings, good Gentles All,
              > Our Group is in need of a set of replica-mediæval chessmen to use in our displays next
              year. Some of our Companions who haven't yet worked-up little exhibits of their own, do
              play chess. And with Caxton's 1474 translation & printing in English of the "Gayme and
              Playe of Chesse" - [which by all accounts I have read so far, turned into a mediæval "best-
              seller"]; - it would be entirely appropriate for some of our Group to play a game or two of
              chess as a mini-display before the MoP.
              > The problem is that - despite extensive internet researches - and I freely admit I'm
              probably using the wrong " search words" - I cannot find any examples of mediævaL
              period sets apart from the one "everyone" seems to cite - the isle of Lewis chessmen.
              > Surely there must be other surving sets from the mediæval period?
              > And surely, - with so many mediæval re-enactors worldwide - some merchant[s] si/
              are offering other replica sets at prices that won't require we "mortgage our souls" in order
              to acquire such a thing?
              > There are lots of other "in-period" games available, and we've bought-in some of
              those; we've even bought-in replica sets of mediæval playing cards - 4 different designs if
              I recal correctly. But no-one knows how to play the games in the accompanying
              instructions.
              > At least with Chess, a number of Companions already know how to play, - and so all
              we'd need is "in-period" Chessmen.
              > But other mediæval-chessmen replicas than those from the Isle of Lewis "find"? - Zilch
              !
              > If any Listers also know of a modern replica-reprint of the Caxton book - we'd also like
              to have details, so that we can try to obtain a copy, for display. Yes, I know about the
              Project Gutenberg online version - but I'm hoping someone has done a not-to-expensive
              "replica reprint" that won't look too anachronistic, on-show by the Chess players.
              > If Listers can suggest possible sources of supply for either or both items, our
              Companions will be very grateful.

              > Peace be with you All, this Feast of St. Anselm; and God's Benison be upon your Houses
              and your Works now, - and until The Judgement.

              > Yours in service,
              > Julian Wilson,
              > [aka. Messire Matthew Baker/Matthieu Besquer, Governor & Castellan of Jersey,
              1486-1497: - "Si vis pacem, para bellum"]
              > late-medieval Re-enactor; & Historian and Master Artisan to
              > "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
              > [the only medieval living-history Group
              > in "olde" Jersey]

            • wodeford
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 19, 2005
                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, julian wilson <smnco37@y...> wrote:
                > Surely there must be other surving sets from the mediæval period?
                Entire sets? Individual pieces pop up in museum collections.
                I found these by Googling "medieval chess." While I had to wade
                through some shlock, I did find these links which might be of use:

                http://www.warehouse23.com/item.html?id=W23-9002 has a reproduction
                set which for once is not the Lewis chessmen, though it's
                stylistically similar.

                http://www.chesscentral.com/sets-pieces-chess/chess-pieces.htm

                http://www.crumiller.com/chess/chess_pages/chess_medieval_pieces.htm

                http://history.chess.free.fr/findings.htm which includes images of a
                marvelous French set from St. Denis, complete with elephants! I'd
                never seen these before.

                Cheers,
                Jehanne de Wodeford, West Kingdom