Re: the cost of saffron

  • eiremyst
    Message 1 of 29 , May 1 7:00 AM
      Personally, I have been using the saffron that comes in 1 ounce tins
      from Indian markets -- a decent dye and taste. However, if you are
      looking for smaller amounts, have noticed that Trader Joes in
      Emeryville, CA is carrying 1 gram glass bottles of saffron from
      around
      2 dollars.
    • Andrea Huwydd Lycsenbwrg
      Message 2 of 29 , May 6 5:51 PM
        Whew! I now know more about saffron than was ever
        dreamt of in my philosophy. But no one answered why
        Elidyr's Little People were so fond of it, and I just
        stumbled across a plausible answer myself....According
        to the Physicians of Myddvai (South Wales, 13th
        century), "If you would be at all times merry, eat
        saffron in meat or drink, and you will never be sad;
        but beware of eating over much, lest you should die of
        excessive joy." So if the Folk spent all their time
        in feasting, dancing, and merry-making, the saffron
        fits right would be a big help.

        Does anyone have a recipe for a dish made with milk
        and saffron?

        Andrea

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • jeffrey.heilveil@ndsu.edu
        Message 3 of 29 , May 9 7:59 AM
          > Does anyone have a recipe for a dish made with milk
          > and saffron?
          >
          > Andrea

          From what time period? Darioles are custard pies that are done with saffron.
          But if I recall correctly, they are 13th - 15th (somewhere in there. I
          can't remember this morning, it's been a long day already) English.

          Jeffrey S. Heilveil, Ph.D.
          Postdoctoral Fellow
          Department of Biological Sciences
          North Dakota State University
          Stevens Hall
          Fargo, ND 58105
          jeffrey.heilveil@...
        • glaukopisathene
          Message 4 of 29 , May 9 9:30 AM
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Andrea Huwydd Lycsenbwrg
            <huwydd@y...> wrote:

            > Does anyone have a recipe for a dish made with milk
            > and saffron?
            >
            > Andrea

            Oooh! I have a really tasty one that I just tried last week. From an
            anonymous Tuscan cookbook, late 14th or early 15th c:

            Del farro di spelta.
            Togli il farro de la spelta monda e rotta, e fallo bullire un poco; e
            gittata via quella acqua lava il detto farro molto bene e ritornalo a
            cocere con latte di capra o di pecora, ovvero d'amandole, fino che sia
            ben cotto. Trita il cascio fresco e mestalo con albume d'ova e mettilo
            nel detto farro bogliente, e bolla un poco. E puoi mettervi carne di
            galline o di polli, a modo di blanchemangieri; e di sopra metti del
            grasso del porco; e se 'l vuoli fare giallo, coloralo di zaffarano e
            tuorla d'ova, e ponvi del zuccaro.

            Spelt grain.
            Take cracked spelt, picked over, and boil it a little; and with the
            water thrown away wash said spelt very well and put it back to cook
            with goat's or sheep's milk, or almond milk instead, until it is well
            cooked. Mince fresh cheese and mix it with egg whites and put it in
            said farro as it boils, and boil it a little. And then put in hen or
            chicken meat, like a blancmange; and put pork fat on top of it; and if
            you want to make it yellow, color it with saffron and egg yolks, and
            add sugar.

            I used spelt, but whole wheat berries or other grains should work too.
            I parboiled them in water, then finished cooking it in goat's milk,
            with saffron, added a beaten egg (whole, to get the color from the
            yolk) and some farmers' cheese just at the point when the milk was
            nearly all absorbed, let it heat through, and ate it very hot with
            sugar on top. It was yummy, but not as good once it got cold.

            Buon appetito!

            Vittoria
          • Andrea Huwydd Lycsenbwrg
            Message 5 of 29 , May 9 10:53 AM
              --- glaukopisathene <phoenissa@...> wrote:
              > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Andrea Huwydd
              > Lycsenbwrg
              > <huwydd@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Does anyone have a recipe for a dish made with
              > milk
              > > and saffron?
              > >
              > > Andrea
              >
              > Oooh! I have a really tasty one that I just tried
              > last week.

              This does sound yummy. I'll have to try it.

              I should have been more specific, though, about what
              I was looking for.... In the late 12th century,
              Gerald of Wales wrote down what he was told by a
              priest who used to visit the Little People as a boy:
              "They never ate meat or fish. They lived on various
              milk dishes, made up into junkets flavoured with
              saffron."

              Now, if they didn't eat meat, I can't see them making
              an actual junket, which is coagulated with rennet, so
              I interpret that as simply some sort of pudding or
              cheese-type dish.

              Andrea

              Discover Yahoo!
              http://discover.yahoo.com/
            • Andrea Huwydd Lycsenbwrg
              Message 6 of 29 , May 9 11:03 AM
                --- jeffrey.heilveil@... wrote:

                > > Does anyone have a recipe for a dish made with
                > milk
                > > and saffron?
                > >
                > > Andrea
                >
                > From what time period?

                12th century Wales. Given the dearth of period Welsh
                cookbooks, however, the approved method seems to be to
                pick up references to whatever food one can in the
                literature, look for the recipes closest in
                chronology and geography which fit the parameters
                given, and extrapolate like mad. So 13th-15th century
                English would be right on target!

                Darioles are custard pies
                > that are done with saffron.
                > But if I recall correctly, they are 13th - 15th
                > (somewhere in there. I
                > can't remember this morning, it's been a long day
                > already) English.

                A google search for "darioles" yielded a number of
                hits, all in French (which I will start learning after
                I'm reasonably competent in Middle Welsh and Latin).
                However, "daryoles" netted me a number of recipes,
                some version of which should work quite nicely. Thaks
                for the tip.

                Given that the Welsh did not have "bread", that is,
                wheat bread (English/French commentators did not feel
                that flat oakcakes qualified) the Little People would
                most likely have made a crustless custard. Did they
                have eggs? Elidyr doesn't mention any sort of
                domestic fowl, but I suppose one could postulate
                either wild bird eggs or eggs "borrowed" from their
                neighbors.

                Andrea

                Discover Yahoo!
                http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html
              • Heather Rose Jones
                Message 7 of 29 , May 9 8:46 PM
                  At 10:53 AM -0700 5/9/05, Andrea Huwydd Lycsenbwrg wrote:

                  > I should have been more specific, though, about what
                  >I was looking for.... In the late 12th century,
                  >Gerald of Wales wrote down what he was told by a
                  >priest who used to visit the Little People as a boy:
                  >"They never ate meat or fish. They lived on various
                  >milk dishes, made up into junkets flavoured with
                  >saffron."
                  >
                  >Now, if they didn't eat meat, I can't see them making
                  >an actual junket, which is coagulated with rennet, so
                  >I interpret that as simply some sort of pudding or
                  >cheese-type dish.

                  It would probably be worthwhile to discover what the original Latin
                  term was that is being translated as "junket". It will give you a
                  more accurate starting point for your extrapolations. (If I knew,
                  I'd tell you, but I haven't yet managed to track down my own copy of
                  the original text of Gerald's works.)

                  Tangwystyl
                  Heather Rose Jones
                  heather.jones@...
                • Andrea Huwydd Lycsenbwrg
                  Message 8 of 29 , May 19 2:52 PM
                    wrote:

                    > It would probably be worthwhile to discover what the
                    > original Latin
                    > term was that is being translated as "junket".

                    Good point. Meanwhile, though, since another
                    translation renders the phrase "made up into messes
                    with saffron", I suspect the term is not all that
                    specific.

                    Andrea

                    http://mail.yahoo.com