Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Artisans gallery at Kalamazoo

Expand Messages
  • Chris Laning
    If anyone s going to be at the International Congress on Medieval Studies at Kalamazoo this coming week, I wanted to mention that DISTAFF (the group that
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2005
      If anyone's going to be at the International Congress on Medieval
      Studies at Kalamazoo this coming week, I wanted to mention that
      DISTAFF (the group that sponsors textile sessions) will be holding an
      open "Artisans' gallery" at Kalamazoo this year. This is (cribbing
      shamelessly from the program) "an exhibition of reproduction textile
      and dress items, handmade using medieval methods and materials. Items
      will include textiles, decorative treatments, dress accessories, and
      a working reproduction of a Viking loom. Exhibitors will demonstrate
      techniques and be available to discuss the use of historic evidence
      in reproducing artifacts of material culture."

      The display will be open to the public starting at 5:45 on Friday in
      Fetzer 1045, the room adjacent to DISTAFF's last Friday session.

      I will, alas, not be there personally this year, but my reproduction
      rosaries will: fourteen of them, with documentation, pictures and
      notes, including one from Alanus de Rupe's 1492 rosary manual.

      Everyone is also, of course, warmly invited to the four DISTAFF
      sessions: Friday at 10:00AM, 1:30 and 3:30PM, and Sunday at 8:30AM.
      The only SCA presenter whose name I immediately recognize this year
      is Constance Fairfax (Katherine Terlep), who has a paper in the 3:30
      session on "Clothes Make the Man: The Transition from Juvenile to
      Adult Clothing in the Paintings of Pieter Bruegel the Elder," but
      there may be others whose names I don't know. (About half the people
      I've met through DISTAFF turn out to be SCA Laurels :)

      The complete Congress schedule is at:
      http://www.wmich.edu/medieval/congress/39congress/index.html

      --
      ____________________________________________________________

      O (Lady) Christian de Holacombe , Shire of Windy Meads
      + Chris Laning <claning@...>
      http://paternoster-row.org - http://paternosters.blogspot.com
      ____________________________________________________________
    • kittencat3@aol.com
      Weirdly enough, I m not surprised....:) Sarah Davies ... From: Chris Laning To: Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sun, 1 May 2005 13:47:21
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2005
        Weirdly enough, I'm not surprised....:)

        Sarah Davies


        -----Original Message-----
        From: Chris Laning <claning@...>
        To: Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com
        Sent: Sun, 1 May 2005 13:47:21 -0700
        Subject: [Authentic_SCA] Artisans gallery at Kalamazoo


        (About half the people
        I've met through DISTAFF turn out to be SCA Laurels :)
      • Marc Carlson
        ... Yup. I m taking a break from typing up my display captions. Unfortunately I m poor at recognizing names, although curiously I have less of a problem
        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2005
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Chris Laning <claning@i...> wrote:
          > If anyone's going to be at the International Congress on Medieval
          > Studies at Kalamazoo this coming week, I wanted to mention that
          > DISTAFF (the group that sponsors textile sessions) will be holding
          > an open "Artisans' gallery" at Kalamazoo this year...

          Yup. I'm taking a break from typing up my display captions.

          Unfortunately I'm poor at recognizing names, although curiously I have
          less of a problem recognizing email addresses :)

          Hope to see lots of people there.

          Marc/Diarmaid
        • Nest verch Tangwistel
          This will be my first year going to Kalamazoo. I am looking forward to seeing the DISTAFF seminars. Nest
          Message 4 of 12 , May 2, 2005
            This will be my first year going to Kalamazoo. I am looking forward to
            seeing the DISTAFF seminars.

            Nest
          • Jane Stockton
            Hi All, I ve just created a new page with images from Civitates Orbis Terrarum of Middle Class (and other) English clothing.
            Message 5 of 12 , May 2, 2005
              Hi All,

              I've just created a new page with images from Civitates Orbis Terrarum of
              Middle Class (and other) English clothing.

              http://needleprayse.webcon.net.au/research/middle_class_elizabethan_clothing.html

              The towns included are:

              Cambridge
              Canterbury
              Edinburgh
              London
              Nonesuch Palace
              Nonesuch Palace
              Norwich
              Windsor

              Cheers,
              Jane
            • faena0216
              I, too, am unable to attend this year. However, samples and some of the newsletters from Complex Weaver s Medieval Textiles Study Group will be there for all
              Message 6 of 12 , May 2, 2005
                I, too, am unable to attend this year.

                However, samples and some of the newsletters from Complex Weaver's
                Medieval Textiles Study Group will be there for all to peruse.

                It sounds like a wonderful experience. I hope those going will report
                back.

                Peace,
                Nancy

                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Nest verch Tangwistel
                <eastarch@y...> wrote:
                > This will be my first year going to Kalamazoo. I am looking forward
                to
                > seeing the DISTAFF seminars.
                >
                > Nest
              • Sharon L. Krossa
                ... I think that should be Middle Class (and other) English (and other) clothing , as Edinburgh is in Scotland, not England ;-) Effrick, delighted to discover
                Message 7 of 12 , May 3, 2005
                  At 9:08 AM +1000 5/3/05, Jane Stockton wrote:
                  >I've just created a new page with images from Civitates Orbis Terrarum of
                  >Middle Class (and other) English clothing.

                  I think that should be "Middle Class (and other) English (and other)
                  clothing", as Edinburgh is in Scotland, not England ;-)

                  Effrick, delighted to discover an image of pre-modern Scottish
                  clothing she wasn't aware of...
                  --
                  Sharon L. Krossa, skrossa-ml@...
                • Jane Stockton
                  ... Picky, picky! ;-) I realise that that is a more appropriate title, but that wouldn t fit in the subject line! I hope you find the images useful. Cheers,
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 3, 2005
                    At 07:21 PM 3/05/2005, you wrote:
                    >At 9:08 AM +1000 5/3/05, Jane Stockton wrote:
                    > >I've just created a new page with images from Civitates Orbis Terrarum of
                    > >Middle Class (and other) English clothing.
                    >
                    >I think that should be "Middle Class (and other) English (and other)
                    >clothing", as Edinburgh is in Scotland, not England ;-)
                    >
                    >Effrick, delighted to discover an image of pre-modern Scottish
                    >clothing she wasn't aware of...

                    Picky, picky! ;-)

                    I realise that that is a more appropriate title, but that wouldn't fit in
                    the subject line!

                    I hope you find the images useful.

                    Cheers,
                    Jane
                  • Elizabeth Walpole
                    ... Terrarum of ... other) ... fit in ... Just change English to British, the concept of the British Isles as connected and related exixted in our period even
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 3, 2005
                      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Jane Stockton
                      <jane_stockton@w...> wrote:
                      > At 07:21 PM 3/05/2005, you wrote:
                      > >At 9:08 AM +1000 5/3/05, Jane Stockton wrote:
                      > > >I've just created a new page with images from Civitates Orbis
                      Terrarum of
                      > > >Middle Class (and other) English clothing.
                      > >
                      > >I think that should be "Middle Class (and other) English (and
                      other)
                      > >clothing", as Edinburgh is in Scotland, not England ;-)
                      > >
                      > >Effrick, delighted to discover an image of pre-modern Scottish
                      > >clothing she wasn't aware of...
                      >
                      > Picky, picky! ;-)
                      >
                      > I realise that that is a more appropriate title, but that wouldn't
                      fit in
                      > the subject line!
                      >
                      > I hope you find the images useful.
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      > Jane

                      Just change English to British, the concept of the British Isles as
                      connected and related exixted in our period even if Britain didn't
                      exist as a country.
                      Elizabeth
                    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.