Climate

  • Park McKellop
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 29 10:44 PM
      Check a globe or Mercator projection, Kansas is on the same line as Sicily, so S England/Southern New England is probably about right.

      Alcyoneus

      I am under the impression that southern England has a very similar
      climate to southern New England. The Gulf stream bounces off
      Massachusetts and cuts across the Atlantic to England taking the warm
      wet climate with it. I have grown saffron crocuses here in Mass so I am
      thinking it would be possible there also.

      Nest

    • Marc Carlson
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 30 9:44 AM
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Park McKellop <squire009@y...>
        wrote:
        > Check a globe or Mercator projection, Kansas is on the same line as
        > Sicily, so S England/Southern New England is probably about right.

        Yes, but Sicily doesn't get the amount of snow and ice that Kansas
        gets :) (or for that matter, much of Afghanistan gets also)

        Latitude is important, certainly but ocean currents (and altitude) can
        have an important effect. I'm no expert in this, but it seems that
        water retains heat very well, and the various currents transferring
        that heat are a major contributor to local climates. England's
        climate (as well as southern Greenland's in the early Middle Ages) has
        a lot to do with the warmth of the North Atlantic Current.

        BTW, for some idea of what effects the various currents may have had
        on history, you might try "The Little Ice Age" and "The Long Summer"
        (both by Brian Fagan).

        Marc/Diarmaid
      • Sarah
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 30 1:03 PM
          It's called convection. A large body of water regulates temperature
          in the air nearby. In summer, it will make the coastline temps
          cooler and in winter, they will be warmer. Ocean currents also
          affect it greatly, as the currents can pull warm air along them.
          Sarah, who lives on the Texas Gulf Coast.

          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Carlson"
          <marccarlson20@h...> wrote:
          > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Park McKellop
          <squire009@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > Check a globe or Mercator projection, Kansas is on the same line
          as
          > > Sicily, so S England/Southern New England is probably about
          right.

          > Yes, but Sicily doesn't get the amount of snow and ice that Kansas
          > gets :) (or for that matter, much of Afghanistan gets also)
          >
          > Latitude is important, certainly but ocean currents (and altitude)
          can
          > have an important effect. I'm no expert in this, but it seems that
          > water retains heat very well, and the various currents transferring
          > that heat are a major contributor to local climates. England's
          > climate (as well as southern Greenland's in the early Middle Ages)
          has
          > a lot to do with the warmth of the North Atlantic Current.
          >
          > BTW, for some idea of what effects the various currents may have
          had
          > on history, you might try "The Little Ice Age" and "The Long
          Summer"
          > (both by Brian Fagan).
          >
          > Marc/Diarmaid
        • Marc Lauterbach
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 30 7:23 PM
            *warning: I am not a meteorologist by any stretch of the imagination*

            Weather is different in Europe from American in many different ways.
            First and foremost, Europe is surrounded entirely by water and has a
            much smaller landmass compared to N. America. This has the effect of
            making weather as a whole generally milder. It's the same situation
            that you see with Islands. Burmuda has much milder weather than say
            West Virginia or Western N. Carolina. Likewise Madrid is on the same
            line as Philadelphia. The ocean serves to regulate the area's
            temperature. It's also the same reason why you see British soldiers
            in North America during the revolutionary war ripping the linings out
            of their regimental coats: the weather was much more extreme in the
            Americas than in Europe.

            Second of all, there are mini short-term periods of warming and
            cooling in the earth's history. You get long, thousand year periods
            of ice ages, but you also get warm spells or cold spells that can
            last a few centuries or so. One example of this was the so
            called "Little Climactic Optimum" from about the years 900-1250 or
            so. This resulted in overall much warmer and milder weather than
            before in europe, with wine cultivation going on in middle England
            (well north of it's current center in Southern France) and a
            population boom in paces such as Scotland. Likewise, Greenland was
            colonized in the high middle ages and it's been recorded that the
            Greenlanders could bury their dead underground to a considerable
            depth, where now the ground is pretty much frozen solid. It's
            estimated that during this time period Greenland was on average 4 to
            7 degrees celcius warmer than it is today.

            What does this mean? First population growth. The high middle ages
            saw a rapid rise in European population growth from about the years
            1000 to about the last quarter 13th- first quarter 14th centuires.
            There are very few food shortages recorded during that time and
            virtually no continent-wide famine in over 300 years. Second of all,
            it leads to the rapid urbanization of Europe as the population grows
            and also results in Europe becoming far more of an economic and
            military powerhouse. Finally, on a downside, the rapid end of the
            Little Optimum in a generation or two resulted in a series of very
            bad food shortages in the first few decades of the 14th and also set
            the stage for a weakening of the population upon the arrival of the
            black death in 1347, as well as the rapid weakening of previously
            more dominant areas of Europe such as Scandanavia, Scotland, and
            other areas. Hope that helps!
            Matthaeus
          • Wanda Pease
            Message 5 of 15 , May 1, 2005
              Erm... Europe is surrounded _entirely by Water_? I had to get my Hammond
              Historical Atlas out to see if something changed between 1000 and 2000.
              Nope, Europe was still part of Eur-Asia then too. Switzerland, Hungary,
              Bohemia, Bavaria, Wallachia (Hi Vlad!), Serbia and most of the German and
              Austrian states were firmly landlocked. I suspect that the climate had a
              lot more to do with the fact that the currents in the oceans that touch
              Europe are different than those that hit eastern America. This means that
              New York, Boston, and other places where the British soldiers didn't feel
              comfortable, but were on the sea coast had different climates than England
              (which _is_ completely surrounded by ocean. (Okay, so
              England/Scotland/Wales is surrounded by water)

              When it comes to truly nasty Florida like weather, Italy, especially Rome,
              can stand proudly with anyone who claims hot and humid. Even the Texas Cost
              :-)

              Usually we get these arguments about changes in climate, or differences
              because someone wants to prove that it is really impossible to wear western
              European medieval fashions because they re unsuitable for their climate, and
              that no climate in western Europe duplicated their area.

              Regina ("Climate is what you expect. Weather is what you get")
              Message 6 of 15 , May 2, 2005
                One other thing to take into consideration. Mid 16th century, parts
                of Europe go through what is referred to as a mini ice age. For
                almost a hundred years, it's colder & wetter than it had been
                previously. But this changed again in the 17th century - the weather
                in parts of Europe today, does not have anything to do with the
                weather in SCA period.... But this 'mini ice age' had a trickle down
                effect on a number of things, including famines & spread of disease.

                Also to consider, the British Isles are farther north latitudinally
                than most of the east coast of North America, the weather, time zone
                etc, is much more analogous at times to what you get in Canada &
                parts of Alaska.

                Europe did not have milder weather by any stretch of the
                imagination. Please remember, when you say Europe that includes
                Southern Italy, Malta, Greece, Findo-Scandia, etc. You've got LOTS
                of temperature extremes, from snow to arid, dry plains to balmy
                Mediterranean Islands. 16th century Maltese fashions, for instance,
                take into consideration the heat & humidity - a lot of linen, a lot
                of veils & coverings to keep the sun off, whereas in the
                Scandinavian nations, you have a lot of utilization of native
                leathers & furs in addition to wools - what works to keep the
                animals warm is used for the humans - but a Maltese wouldn't wear
                the same winter clothes as a Finn, any more than a Colonial American
                (and remember, you've got climate extremes just on the East Coast of
                the US!) would wear the same as a Southern Italian or a Highland
                Scot.

                For the record, I wear my wools & linen just fine in the very hot,
                very dry Eastern New Mexico summers.....

                Cheers,
                Margaret Hepburn

                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Wanda Pease" <wandap@h...>

                Message 7 of 15 , May 2, 2005
                  Evidentally Europe is not COMPLETELY surrounded by water, good God.
                  I was speaking metaphorically. However, if you compare the size of the
                  WESTERN European landmass and its situation with regards to its
                  geographic placement with say...oh I don't know, a similar chunk of the
                  United States from Nevada to Ohio, you will find that Europe has milder
                  temperatures. I of course can't speak for areas of non-Latin Europe
                  such as Russia which are similarly massive. Water has a cooling effect
                  rendering the weather in Europe more mild than here in the good ol'
                  USA. Are there similarities? Of course there are. Of course the
                  vikings wore different Garb than the Sicilians, I never implied
                  anything of the sort. However, anyone who thinks that nothing has
                  changed weather-wise around the world since the High middle ages might
                  want to try living off the land in Greenland for a few years. Good
                  luck with those oats ;)
                • Marc Carlson
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 2, 2005
                    --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Wanda Pease" <wandap@h...> wrote:
                    > Erm... Europe is surrounded _entirely by Water_? I had to get my
                    > Hammond Historical Atlas out to see if something changed between
                    > 1000 and 2000. Nope, Europe was still part of Eur-Asia then too.
                    > Switzerland, Hungary, Bohemia, Bavaria, Wallachia (Hi Vlad!),
                    > Serbia and most of the German and Austrian states were firmly
                    > landlocked...

                    Oh certainly - haven't you ever heard of the Great European Sea? All
                    the way from the Scandinavian Islands, past the Rus/Gulag Archipelago,
                    down to Constantinople and the Black Bay. Those other countries only
                    existed after the continent rose up in the 19th century. That's why
                    you never see anything written about their history in English. They
                    didn't have any...

                    *ahem*

                    > Usually we get these arguments about changes in climate, or
                    > differences because someone wants to prove that it is really
                    > impossible to wear western European medieval fashions because they
                    > re unsuitable for their climate, and that no climate in western
                    > Europe duplicated their area.

                    Just remind them that wool was a common cloth for clothing pretty much
                    everywhere in the southern US long before the advent of air
                    conditioning, and to stop whining about it :)

                    Marc/Diarmaid
                  • Marc Carlson
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 2, 2005
                      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Julie Stackable, SCA Margaret
                      Hepburn" <malvoisine@y...> wrote:
                      > One other thing to take into consideration. Mid 16th century, parts
                      > of Europe go through what is referred to as a mini ice age. For
                      > almost a hundred years, it's colder & wetter than it had been
                      > previously. But this changed again in the 17th century - the
                      > weather in parts of Europe today, does not have anything to do with
                      > the weather in SCA period....

                      I beg to differ.

                      The "Little Ice Age" (which BTW followed the "Medieval Warm Period")
                      began roughly around 1350 and stretched to the Mid-19th century
                      (although exactly WHEN seems to depend on which gague you are using to
                      make the determination), although the colder and wetter aspects
                      started well before (for example, it's probable that the storms that
                      drowned much of the Netherlands in 1315 were an early sign of things
                      to come).

                      However, you are right, the years for peak cold were between 1500 and
                      1700 (although the latter 14th century had some remarkably cold years).

                      Marc/Diarmaid
                    • Marc Lauterbach
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 2, 2005
                        Actually, I found a fascinating website from the USDA that has a map
                        of Europe's climactic zones and comparisons with the weather in avrious
                        areas of the United States. How similar the modern European climate is
                        to what it was like in the middle ages is of course anybody's guess,
                        however I would venture to say that on the whole the average
                        temperatures during the high middle ages were probably a few degrees
                        celcius warmer.
                        http://www.usda.gov/oce/waob/jawf/profiles/html/eur/eurclim.htm
                      • Wanda Pease
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 2, 2005
                          Mark,

                          What a nifty site! Thank you!

                          The remark about Europe being completely surrounded by water just struck
                          my funny bone. Certainly did not mean my answer as a put down. Climates
                          have fluxgate by quite a bit in the last 2,000 years or so. Your Greenland
                          analogy is well taken. Check out "Woven Into the Earth" as a good example
                          of the shifts that Greenlanders had to make over their 1000 year history.

                          Actually, the Vikings (or those whose job description was "viking") did
                          dress differently when they got to Sicily, or even Byzantium. However they
                          were the sea peoples. My question of your statement also comes when you get
                          into Europe, away from the sea coasts. This is why I mention Bavaria,
                          Bohemia, most of what we now call Germany and Austria. I live in Portland,
                          Oregon. I lived in Frankfurt am Main, Germany for many years. The climate
                          here is very similar. Lots of Rain (capital R) and very little snow.
                          Portland is at 45 degrees and Frankfurt is at 50 degrees latitude.
                          Frankfurt is a ways away from the ocean, but on the Main River.

                          Yes things have changed in Europe. Yes places in the US are different
                          climatically than England, Italy and Greece. However, each of those places
                          has occasional HOT Muggy summers (2002 comes to mind).

                          As I said, usually the excuse that the US has different climates is to
                          enable people to run around in completely inauthentic "for their persona"
                          garb rather than research and make what they would really have worn or done.

                          Regina

                          Message 12 of 15 , May 2, 2005
                            Hi again. My apologies if I sounded defensive, I didn't mean to come
                            off that way at all :) I'm glad you like the site and yes, I totally
                            agree that too many people use the excuse "well America is too hot to
                            wear wool" to get away with sloppy costuming. I have done both WWI and
                            Rev War reenacting in addition to SCA stuff, so I hear it all the
                            time ;) In any case, my response to those people is that usually linen
                            and wool are actually nicer than many modern fabrics. When we do our
                            thing at Colonial Williamsburg and ppl ask us if we're hot my response
                            is generally "yes, but probably not as hot. at least my clothes
                            breath." So I apologize for any misunderstanding! :)
                            Best Regards,
                            Marc
                          • julian wilson
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 18, 2005
                              Greetings, good Gentles All,
                              Our Group is in need of a set of replica-mediæval chessmen to use in our displays next year. Some of our Companions who haven't yet worked-up little exhibits of their own, do play chess. And with Caxton's 1474 translation & printing in English of the "Gayme and Playe of Chesse" - [which by all accounts I have read so far, turned into a mediæval "best-seller"]; - it would be entirely appropriate for some of our Group to play a game or two of chess as a mini-display before the MoP.
                              The problem is that - despite extensive internet researches - and I freely admit I'm probably using the wrong " search words" - I cannot find any examples of mediævaL period sets apart from the one "everyone" seems to cite - the isle of Lewis chessmen.
                              Surely there must be other surving sets from the mediæval period?
                              And surely, - with so many mediæval re-enactors worldwide - some merchant[s] si/are offering other replica sets at prices that won't require we "mortgage our souls" in order to acquire such a thing?
                              There are lots of other "in-period" games available, and we've bought-in some of those; we've even bought-in replica sets of mediæval playing cards - 4 different designs if I recal correctly. But no-one knows how to play the games in the accompanying instructions.
                              At least with Chess, a number of Companions already know how to play, - and so all we'd need is "in-period" Chessmen.
                              But other mediæval-chessmen replicas than those from the Isle of Lewis "find"? - Zilch !
                              If any Listers also know of a modern replica-reprint of the Caxton book - we'd also like to have details, so that we can try to obtain a copy, for display. Yes, I know about the Project Gutenberg online version - but I'm hoping someone has done a not-to-expensive "replica reprint" that won't look too anachronistic, on-show by the Chess players.
                              If Listers can suggest possible sources of supply for either or both items, our Companions will be very grateful.

                              Peace be with you All, this Feast of St. Anselm; and God's Benison be upon your Houses and your Works now, - and until The Judgement.

                              Yours in service,
                              Julian Wilson,
                              [aka. Messire Matthew Baker/Matthieu Besquer, Governor & Castellan of Jersey, 1486-1497: - "Si vis pacem, para bellum"]
                              late-medieval Re-enactor; & Historian and Master Artisan to
                              "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
                              [the only medieval living-history Group
                              in "olde" Jersey]

                            • lenastrid
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 19, 2005
                                I have never seen any chessmen set except the Lewis one. Perhaps your best bet is to ask
                                museums for images of any chessmen they have (dated to the period of your choice), and
                                see if there are any bone/woodworker that can make replicas for you.

                                But if you do find somewhere that sells medieval replicas, let us know. I'm sure there are
                                more than you out there that are interested.

                                /Lena

                                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, julian wilson <smnco37@y...> wrote:

                                > Greetings, good Gentles All,
                                > Our Group is in need of a set of replica-mediæval chessmen to use in our displays next
                                year. Some of our Companions who haven't yet worked-up little exhibits of their own, do
                                play chess. And with Caxton's 1474 translation & printing in English of the "Gayme and
                                Playe of Chesse" - [which by all accounts I have read so far, turned into a mediæval "best-
                                seller"]; - it would be entirely appropriate for some of our Group to play a game or two of
                                chess as a mini-display before the MoP.
                                > The problem is that - despite extensive internet researches - and I freely admit I'm
                                probably using the wrong " search words" - I cannot find any examples of mediævaL
                                period sets apart from the one "everyone" seems to cite - the isle of Lewis chessmen.
                                > Surely there must be other surving sets from the mediæval period?
                                > And surely, - with so many mediæval re-enactors worldwide - some merchant[s] si/
                                are offering other replica sets at prices that won't require we "mortgage our souls" in order
                                to acquire such a thing?
                                > There are lots of other "in-period" games available, and we've bought-in some of
                                those; we've even bought-in replica sets of mediæval playing cards - 4 different designs if
                                I recal correctly. But no-one knows how to play the games in the accompanying
                                instructions.
                                > At least with Chess, a number of Companions already know how to play, - and so all
                                we'd need is "in-period" Chessmen.
                                > But other mediæval-chessmen replicas than those from the Isle of Lewis "find"? - Zilch
                                !
                                > If any Listers also know of a modern replica-reprint of the Caxton book - we'd also like
                                to have details, so that we can try to obtain a copy, for display. Yes, I know about the
                                Project Gutenberg online version - but I'm hoping someone has done a not-to-expensive
                                "replica reprint" that won't look too anachronistic, on-show by the Chess players.
                                > If Listers can suggest possible sources of supply for either or both items, our
                                Companions will be very grateful.

                                > Peace be with you All, this Feast of St. Anselm; and God's Benison be upon your Houses
                                and your Works now, - and until The Judgement.

                                > Yours in service,
                                > Julian Wilson,
                                > [aka. Messire Matthew Baker/Matthieu Besquer, Governor & Castellan of Jersey,
                                1486-1497: - "Si vis pacem, para bellum"]
                                > late-medieval Re-enactor; & Historian and Master Artisan to
                                > "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
                                > [the only medieval living-history Group
                                > in "olde" Jersey]

                              • wodeford
                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 19, 2005
                                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, julian wilson <smnco37@y...> wrote:
                                  > Surely there must be other surving sets from the mediæval period?
                                  Entire sets? Individual pieces pop up in museum collections.
                                  I found these by Googling "medieval chess." While I had to wade
                                  through some shlock, I did find these links which might be of use:

                                  http://www.warehouse23.com/item.html?id=W23-9002 has a reproduction
                                  set which for once is not the Lewis chessmen, though it's
                                  stylistically similar.

                                  http://www.chesscentral.com/sets-pieces-chess/chess-pieces.htm

                                  http://www.crumiller.com/chess/chess_pages/chess_medieval_pieces.htm

                                  http://history.chess.free.fr/findings.htm which includes images of a
                                  marvelous French set from St. Denis, complete with elephants! I'd
                                  never seen these before.

                                  Cheers,
                                  Jehanne de Wodeford, West Kingdom