NESAT 8

  • Beth and Bob Matney
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 29, 2005
      I received a flyer today announcing the availability of NESAT 8. I will be
      mailing my order shortly.

      As most NESAT volumes, there are a lot of interesting scholarly papers,
      most of which are in English with several in German.

      Beth of Walnutvale

      Priceless Invention of Humanity - Textiles (NESAT 8) Acta Archaeologica
      Lodziensia Nr 50/1 edited by Jerzy Maik. Instytut Archaeologii I Etnologii
      Pan. Lodz Poland (2004). 200pp. 30 euro plus 6 euro shipping.

      Contact: archeo@...
    • Cornelia
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 29, 2005
        Awesome! Shame NESAT 7 is still not published yet.... I ordered mine yonks
        ago.

        Do you have any idea if there will be a NESAT symposium this year and
        where? Anyone?

        Cheers,

        Cornelia

        > Priceless Invention of Humanity - Textiles (NESAT 8) Acta Archaeologica
        > Lodziensia Nr 50/1 edited by Jerzy Maik. Instytut Archaeologii I Etnologii
        > Pan. Lodz Poland (2004). 200pp. 30 euro plus 6 euro shipping.
        >
        > Contact: archeo@c...
      • Beth and Bob Matney
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 29, 2005
          DBBC told me earlier this week that they should ship my copy of NESAT 7
          sometime in the next couple of weeks.

          I need to drop Prof. Jørgensen a note on another matter. I'll ask her when
          and where the next NESAT symposium is.

          Beth

          At 11:11 AM 4/29/2005, you wrote:
          >Awesome! Shame NESAT 7 is still not published yet.... I ordered mine yonks
          >ago.
          >
          >Do you have any idea if there will be a NESAT symposium this year and
          >where? Anyone?
          >
          >Cheers,
          >
          >Cornelia
          >

          > > Priceless Invention of Humanity - Textiles (NESAT 8) Acta Archaeologica
          > > Lodziensia Nr 50/1 edited by Jerzy Maik. Instytut Archaeologii I Etnologii
          > > Pan. Lodz Poland (2004). 200pp. 30 euro plus 6 euro shipping.
          > >
          > > Contact: archeo@c...
        • Chris Laning
          Message 4 of 12 , May 1 1:47 PM
            If anyone's going to be at the International Congress on Medieval
            Studies at Kalamazoo this coming week, I wanted to mention that
            DISTAFF (the group that sponsors textile sessions) will be holding an
            open "Artisans' gallery" at Kalamazoo this year. This is (cribbing
            shamelessly from the program) "an exhibition of reproduction textile
            and dress items, handmade using medieval methods and materials. Items
            will include textiles, decorative treatments, dress accessories, and
            a working reproduction of a Viking loom. Exhibitors will demonstrate
            techniques and be available to discuss the use of historic evidence
            in reproducing artifacts of material culture."

            The display will be open to the public starting at 5:45 on Friday in
            Fetzer 1045, the room adjacent to DISTAFF's last Friday session.

            I will, alas, not be there personally this year, but my reproduction
            rosaries will: fourteen of them, with documentation, pictures and
            notes, including one from Alanus de Rupe's 1492 rosary manual.

            Everyone is also, of course, warmly invited to the four DISTAFF
            sessions: Friday at 10:00AM, 1:30 and 3:30PM, and Sunday at 8:30AM.
            The only SCA presenter whose name I immediately recognize this year
            is Constance Fairfax (Katherine Terlep), who has a paper in the 3:30
            session on "Clothes Make the Man: The Transition from Juvenile to
            Adult Clothing in the Paintings of Pieter Bruegel the Elder," but
            there may be others whose names I don't know. (About half the people
            I've met through DISTAFF turn out to be SCA Laurels :)

            The complete Congress schedule is at:
            http://www.wmich.edu/medieval/congress/39congress/index.html

            O (Lady) Christian de Holacombe , Shire of Windy Meads
            + Chris Laning <claning@...>
          • kittencat3@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , May 1 8:52 PM
              Weirdly enough, I'm not surprised....:)

              Sarah Davies

              I've met through DISTAFF turn out to be SCA Laurels :)
            • Marc Carlson
              Message 6 of 12 , May 1 9:56 PM
                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Chris Laning <claning@i...> wrote:
                > If anyone's going to be at the International Congress on Medieval
                > Studies at Kalamazoo this coming week, I wanted to mention that
                > DISTAFF (the group that sponsors textile sessions) will be holding
                > an open "Artisans' gallery" at Kalamazoo this year...

                Yup. I'm taking a break from typing up my display captions.

                Unfortunately I'm poor at recognizing names, although curiously I have
                less of a problem recognizing email addresses :)

                Hope to see lots of people there.

                Marc/Diarmaid
              • Nest verch Tangwistel
                Message 7 of 12 , May 2 2:38 PM
                  This will be my first year going to Kalamazoo. I am looking forward to
                  seeing the DISTAFF seminars.

                  Nest
                • Jane Stockton
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 2 4:08 PM
                    Hi All,

                    I've just created a new page with images from Civitates Orbis Terrarum of
                    Middle Class (and other) English clothing.

                    http://needleprayse.webcon.net.au/research/middle_class_elizabethan_clothing.html

                    The towns included are:

                    Cambridge
                    Canterbury
                    Edinburgh
                    London
                    Nonesuch Palace
                    Nonesuch Palace
                    Norwich
                    Windsor

                    Cheers,
                    Jane
                  • faena0216
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 2 6:38 PM
                      I, too, am unable to attend this year.

                      However, samples and some of the newsletters from Complex Weaver's
                      Medieval Textiles Study Group will be there for all to peruse.

                      It sounds like a wonderful experience. I hope those going will report
                      back.

                      Peace,
                      Nancy

                      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Nest verch Tangwistel
                      <eastarch@y...> wrote:
                      > This will be my first year going to Kalamazoo. I am looking forward
                      > seeing the DISTAFF seminars.
                      >
                      > Nest
                    • Sharon L. Krossa
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 3 2:21 AM
                        At 9:08 AM +1000 5/3/05, Jane Stockton wrote:
                        >I've just created a new page with images from Civitates Orbis Terrarum of
                        >Middle Class (and other) English clothing.

                        I think that should be "Middle Class (and other) English (and other)
                        clothing", as Edinburgh is in Scotland, not England ;-)

                        Effrick, delighted to discover an image of pre-modern Scottish
                        clothing she wasn't aware of...
                        --
                        Sharon L. Krossa, skrossa-ml@...
                      • Jane Stockton
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 3 3:48 PM
                          At 07:21 PM 3/05/2005, you wrote:
                          >At 9:08 AM +1000 5/3/05, Jane Stockton wrote:
                          > >I've just created a new page with images from Civitates Orbis Terrarum of
                          > >Middle Class (and other) English clothing.
                          >
                          >I think that should be "Middle Class (and other) English (and other)
                          >clothing", as Edinburgh is in Scotland, not England ;-)
                          >
                          >Effrick, delighted to discover an image of pre-modern Scottish
                          >clothing she wasn't aware of...

                          Picky, picky! ;-)

                          I realise that that is a more appropriate title, but that wouldn't fit in
                          the subject line!

                          I hope you find the images useful.

                          Cheers,
                          Jane
                        • Elizabeth Walpole
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 3 10:30 PM
                            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Jane Stockton
                            <jane_stockton@w...> wrote:
                            > At 07:21 PM 3/05/2005, you wrote:
                            > >At 9:08 AM +1000 5/3/05, Jane Stockton wrote:
                            > > >I've just created a new page with images from Civitates Orbis
                            Terrarum of
                            > > >Middle Class (and other) English clothing.
                            > >
                            > >I think that should be "Middle Class (and other) English (and
                            other)
                            > >clothing", as Edinburgh is in Scotland, not England ;-)
                            > >
                            > >Effrick, delighted to discover an image of pre-modern Scottish
                            > >clothing she wasn't aware of...
                            >
                            > Picky, picky! ;-)
                            >
                            > I realise that that is a more appropriate title, but that wouldn't
                            fit in
                            > the subject line!
                            >
                            > I hope you find the images useful.
                            >
                            > Cheers,
                            > Jane

                            Just change English to British, the concept of the British Isles as
                            connected and related exixted in our period even if Britain didn't
                            exist as a country.
                            Elizabeth