Re: Growing Saffron (was: cost of...)

  • Kareina Talvi Tytär
    Message 1 of 29 , Apr 28, 2005
      I don't know about England, but there is a fair bit of saffron being grown
      and sold locally in Tasmania (Australia), which is about as far south as
      Oregon is north.

      --Kareina

    • jeffrey.heilveil@ndsu.edu
      Message 2 of 29 , Apr 28, 2005
        >... three bucks an OUNCE???
        > Where are you getting this stuff?

        The oriental groceries in both Fargo, ND and Champaign, IL had them at
        that price. Indian markets too, I'd assume.

        Jeffrey S. Heilveil, Ph.D.
        Postdoctoral Fellow
        Department of Biological Sciences
        North Dakota State University
        Stevens Hall
        Fargo, ND 58105
        jeffrey.heilveil@...
      • Nest verch Tangwistel
        Message 3 of 29 , Apr 28, 2005
          I am under the impression that southern England has a very similar
          climate to southern New England. The Gulf stream bounces off
          Massachusetts and cuts across the Atlantic to England taking the warm
          wet climate with it. I have grown saffron crocuses here in Mass so I am
          thinking it would be possible there also.

          Nest

          > During much of the Middle Ages there were vineyards in England (as
          > there are today). If memory serves the wines may not have been as
          > sweet as they could get from France, but they were growing sufficient
          > that H8 owned 11 Vinyards. A further 67 were owned by various nobles
          > and 50-something by the Church.
          >
          > Marc/Diarmaid
        • azilisarmor
          Message 4 of 29 , Apr 28, 2005
            From where I live (US side of the Canadian-US border) most
            places carrying cheap, good spices are just plain unreachable.
            Montreal and Ottawa are within 2 hours. Does anyone have
            experience in buying spices in Canada and bringing them back
            through customs?

            Deroch
          • Lady_Lark_Azure
            Message 5 of 29 , Apr 28, 2005
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "azilisarmor" <alsnchap@t...>
              wrote:
              > From where I live (US side of the Canadian-US border) most
              > places carrying cheap, good spices are just plain unreachable.
              > Montreal and Ottawa are within 2 hours. Does anyone have
              > experience in buying spices in Canada and bringing them back
              > through customs?
              >
              > Deroch

              Have you ever tried Penzeys? (penzeys.com) I've never had any
              complaints with their quality and they have a great range of stuff.

              Isabeau
            • kittencat3@aol.com
              Message 6 of 29 , Apr 28, 2005
                I agree: $3 an ounce for saffron is ludicrously cheap. That stuff is
                literally worth more than its weight in gold.

                BTW, for anyone who's interested in ludicrously expensive dyes, saffron
                produces a nice, reasonably fast yellow and can be overdyed to a pretty
                green.....

                Sarah Davies

                Message 7 of 29 , Apr 28, 2005
                  At 09:38 AM 4/28/2005, you wrote:

                  >If one haunts Asian groceries you can find "spanish saffron" for $3/oz.
                  >It is NOT safflower, but is indeed crocus stamens, of the same species as
                  >the "true saffron" provider.
                  >
                  >cu drag,
                  >Bogdan

                  Astonishing. I shall have to look.

                  MT

                • Adele de Maisieres
                  Message 8 of 29 , Apr 28, 2005
                    jeffrey.heilveil@... wrote:

                    >There is a reason you can get "Spanish saffron" for as little as $3/oz,
                    >while the "real thing" is FAR more expensive.
                    >
                    >For a "Port" wine to be "properly" called a Port, it needs to be produced
                    >in Portugal. For something to truly be "Champagne" (and not sparkling
                    >wine) it needs to be produced in "Champagne". The Saffron that costs so
                    >dearly is all produced in a couple counties in Spain. If you cross out of
                    >those counties and grow the same crocus, the cost of a stamen is FAR less.

                    Ummm... I buy saffron that comes variously from India, Spain, and even
                    the locally grown (Canterbury, New Zealand) stuff, and it's _all_
                    expensive.

                    Adele
                  • Adele de Maisieres
                    Message 9 of 29 , Apr 28, 2005
                      Mary Taran wrote:

                      >It is my understanding that the stuff sold at $3/oz is actually safflower,
                      >which will indeed color your stuff much as saffron will, but I've never
                      >seen it marketed as "Spanish" saffron. In fact, it is clearly marked as
                      >coming from Mexico (although it could be imported from Egypt as well--I'm
                      >not familiar with the Egyptian fake). If you look at the stuff in the
                      >container, saffron looks like little threads and safflower (false saffron)
                      >looks like wood shavings.

                      Yup. I think it can also contain calendula.

                      Adele
                    • Hasoferet@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 29 , Apr 29, 2005
                        In a message dated 4/28/2005 9:45:31 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                        jeffrey.heilveil@... writes:

                        > If one haunts Asian groceries you can find "spanish saffron" for $3/oz.
                        > It is NOT safflower, but is indeed crocus stamens, of the same species as
                        > the "true saffron" provider.

                        Trader Joe's (a California chain I would probably pine away and wither
                        without), sells saffron at about four bucks for a little jar, can't find mine now,
                        so not sure of the weight. I don't cook with saffron much, so one of these
                        lasts me ages. My old-neighborhood yuppie food mart sold it for about the same
                        prices. I recall buying a couple ounces back when I was in grade school for a
                        fabric-dying project.

                        Raquel

                        Raquel
                      • Ragnhildr/Adrienne
                        Message 11 of 29 , May 1 4:35 AM
                          I can also recommend San Francisco Herb (sfherb.com). 1 gram of
                          saffron is $2.05, and an ounce is $28.60.

                          Of course, there is a minimum order, but I never have trouble filling
                          out that $30.

                          Ragnhildr

                          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Lady_Lark_Azure"
                          <jenniferanne21@n...> wrote:

                          > Have you ever tried Penzeys? (penzeys.com) I've never had any
                          > complaints with their quality and they have a great range of stuff.
                          >
                          > Isabeau
                        • eiremyst
                          Message 12 of 29 , May 1 7:00 AM
                            Personally, I have been using the saffron that comes in 1 ounce tins
                            from Indian markets -- a decent dye and taste. However, if you are
                            looking for smaller amounts, have noticed that Trader Joes in
                            Emeryville, CA is carrying 1 gram glass bottles of saffron from
                            around
                            2 dollars.
                          • Andrea Huwydd Lycsenbwrg
                            Message 13 of 29 , May 6 5:51 PM
                              Whew! I now know more about saffron than was ever
                              dreamt of in my philosophy. But no one answered why
                              Elidyr's Little People were so fond of it, and I just
                              stumbled across a plausible answer myself....According
                              to the Physicians of Myddvai (South Wales, 13th
                              century), "If you would be at all times merry, eat
                              saffron in meat or drink, and you will never be sad;
                              but beware of eating over much, lest you should die of
                              excessive joy." So if the Folk spent all their time
                              in feasting, dancing, and merry-making, the saffron
                              fits right would be a big help.

                              Does anyone have a recipe for a dish made with milk
                              and saffron?

                              Andrea

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • jeffrey.heilveil@ndsu.edu
                              Message 14 of 29 , May 9 7:59 AM
                                > Does anyone have a recipe for a dish made with milk
                                > and saffron?
                                >
                                > Andrea

                                From what time period? Darioles are custard pies that are done with saffron.
                                But if I recall correctly, they are 13th - 15th (somewhere in there. I
                                can't remember this morning, it's been a long day already) English.

                                Jeffrey S. Heilveil, Ph.D.
                                Postdoctoral Fellow
                                Department of Biological Sciences
                                North Dakota State University
                                Stevens Hall
                                Fargo, ND 58105
                                jeffrey.heilveil@...
                              • glaukopisathene
                                Message 15 of 29 , May 9 9:30 AM
                                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Andrea Huwydd Lycsenbwrg
                                  <huwydd@y...> wrote:

                                  > Does anyone have a recipe for a dish made with milk
                                  > and saffron?
                                  >
                                  > Andrea

                                  Oooh! I have a really tasty one that I just tried last week. From an
                                  anonymous Tuscan cookbook, late 14th or early 15th c:

                                  Del farro di spelta.
                                  Togli il farro de la spelta monda e rotta, e fallo bullire un poco; e
                                  gittata via quella acqua lava il detto farro molto bene e ritornalo a
                                  cocere con latte di capra o di pecora, ovvero d'amandole, fino che sia
                                  ben cotto. Trita il cascio fresco e mestalo con albume d'ova e mettilo
                                  nel detto farro bogliente, e bolla un poco. E puoi mettervi carne di
                                  galline o di polli, a modo di blanchemangieri; e di sopra metti del
                                  grasso del porco; e se 'l vuoli fare giallo, coloralo di zaffarano e
                                  tuorla d'ova, e ponvi del zuccaro.

                                  Spelt grain.
                                  Take cracked spelt, picked over, and boil it a little; and with the
                                  water thrown away wash said spelt very well and put it back to cook
                                  with goat's or sheep's milk, or almond milk instead, until it is well
                                  cooked. Mince fresh cheese and mix it with egg whites and put it in
                                  said farro as it boils, and boil it a little. And then put in hen or
                                  chicken meat, like a blancmange; and put pork fat on top of it; and if
                                  you want to make it yellow, color it with saffron and egg yolks, and
                                  add sugar.

                                  I used spelt, but whole wheat berries or other grains should work too.
                                  I parboiled them in water, then finished cooking it in goat's milk,
                                  with saffron, added a beaten egg (whole, to get the color from the
                                  yolk) and some farmers' cheese just at the point when the milk was
                                  nearly all absorbed, let it heat through, and ate it very hot with
                                  sugar on top. It was yummy, but not as good once it got cold.

                                  Buon appetito!

                                  Vittoria
                                • Andrea Huwydd Lycsenbwrg
                                  Message 16 of 29 , May 9 10:53 AM
                                    --- glaukopisathene <phoenissa@...> wrote:
                                    > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Andrea Huwydd
                                    > Lycsenbwrg
                                    > <huwydd@y...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Does anyone have a recipe for a dish made with
                                    > milk
                                    > > and saffron?
                                    > >
                                    > > Andrea
                                    >
                                    > Oooh! I have a really tasty one that I just tried
                                    > last week.

                                    This does sound yummy. I'll have to try it.

                                    I should have been more specific, though, about what
                                    I was looking for.... In the late 12th century,
                                    Gerald of Wales wrote down what he was told by a
                                    priest who used to visit the Little People as a boy:
                                    "They never ate meat or fish. They lived on various
                                    milk dishes, made up into junkets flavoured with
                                    saffron."

                                    Now, if they didn't eat meat, I can't see them making
                                    an actual junket, which is coagulated with rennet, so
                                    I interpret that as simply some sort of pudding or
                                    cheese-type dish.

                                    Andrea

                                    Discover Yahoo!
                                    http://discover.yahoo.com/
                                  • Andrea Huwydd Lycsenbwrg
                                    Message 17 of 29 , May 9 11:03 AM
                                      --- jeffrey.heilveil@... wrote:

                                      > > Does anyone have a recipe for a dish made with
                                      > milk
                                      > > and saffron?
                                      > >
                                      > > Andrea
                                      >
                                      > From what time period?

                                      12th century Wales. Given the dearth of period Welsh
                                      cookbooks, however, the approved method seems to be to
                                      pick up references to whatever food one can in the
                                      literature, look for the recipes closest in
                                      chronology and geography which fit the parameters
                                      given, and extrapolate like mad. So 13th-15th century
                                      English would be right on target!

                                      Darioles are custard pies
                                      > that are done with saffron.
                                      > But if I recall correctly, they are 13th - 15th
                                      > (somewhere in there. I
                                      > can't remember this morning, it's been a long day
                                      > already) English.

                                      A google search for "darioles" yielded a number of
                                      hits, all in French (which I will start learning after
                                      I'm reasonably competent in Middle Welsh and Latin).
                                      However, "daryoles" netted me a number of recipes,
                                      some version of which should work quite nicely. Thaks
                                      for the tip.

                                      Given that the Welsh did not have "bread", that is,
                                      wheat bread (English/French commentators did not feel
                                      that flat oakcakes qualified) the Little People would
                                      most likely have made a crustless custard. Did they
                                      have eggs? Elidyr doesn't mention any sort of
                                      domestic fowl, but I suppose one could postulate
                                      either wild bird eggs or eggs "borrowed" from their
                                      neighbors.

                                      Andrea

                                      Discover Yahoo!
                                      http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html
                                    • Heather Rose Jones
                                      Message 18 of 29 , May 9 8:46 PM
                                        At 10:53 AM -0700 5/9/05, Andrea Huwydd Lycsenbwrg wrote:

                                        > I should have been more specific, though, about what
                                        >I was looking for.... In the late 12th century,
                                        >Gerald of Wales wrote down what he was told by a
                                        >priest who used to visit the Little People as a boy:
                                        >"They never ate meat or fish. They lived on various
                                        >milk dishes, made up into junkets flavoured with
                                        >saffron."
                                        >
                                        >Now, if they didn't eat meat, I can't see them making
                                        >an actual junket, which is coagulated with rennet, so
                                        >I interpret that as simply some sort of pudding or
                                        >cheese-type dish.

                                        It would probably be worthwhile to discover what the original Latin
                                        term was that is being translated as "junket". It will give you a
                                        more accurate starting point for your extrapolations. (If I knew,
                                        I'd tell you, but I haven't yet managed to track down my own copy of
                                        the original text of Gerald's works.)

                                        Tangwystyl
                                        Heather Rose Jones
                                        heather.jones@...
                                      • Andrea Huwydd Lycsenbwrg
                                        Message 19 of 29 , May 19 2:52 PM
                                          wrote:

                                          > It would probably be worthwhile to discover what the
                                          > original Latin
                                          > term was that is being translated as "junket".

                                          Good point. Meanwhile, though, since another
                                          translation renders the phrase "made up into messes
                                          with saffron", I suspect the term is not all that
                                          specific.

                                          Andrea

                                          http://mail.yahoo.com