Re: Traditional German Feast foods for Christmas Time

  • Huette von Ahrens
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 28, 2005
      > Message: 13
      > Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 04:51:40 -0000
      > From: "hedwigfrauguntar"
      > <honeyfrog1968@...>
      > Subject: Traditional German Feast foods for
      > Christmas Time
      >

      > Greetings All,
      > I am about to embark on my first attempt at feast
      > stewarding an event. It won't be until December but
      > since I've not done this (on this scale) before I am
      > trying to research and find all of my information
      > early�so I will have to time to work on it and not
      > be more frazzled than I "should be"! My question is

      > such:
      > The theme for our event is going to be St. Nicolas
      > Day (or something close to that) we are basically
      > going for the full on German Christmas thing here.
      > I am searching for traditional German foods that
      > would have been served at such a grand affair. I
      > want to make sure that my menu includes all foods
      > from one period and one area. I haven't settled on
      > the area as of yet because I don't have enough
      > information for that yet; however we are trying for
      > late 14th to mid/late 15th centuries. I do have
      > access to a suckling pig so I am sure that will be a
      > large part of the presentation.
      >
      > Does anyone have any sources for me to peruse (other
      > than Ein Buch von Guter Spise)? Any help would be
      > more than gratefully appreciated.
      >
      > In Service,
      > Hedwig

      How is your Medieval German? Unfortunately, for
      that time period, Das Buch von Guter Speise is the
      only one translated into English. However, there
      are two different translations. There is the Alia
      Atlas version, which has translation problems, and
      there is the Melitta Weiss Adamson translation, which
      is quite good and can be purchased through Poison
      Pen Press.
      http://www.poisonpenpress.com/cookery.html

      There are a couple of other manuscript cookbooks
      from that era, but they still are in Medieval
      German. There is:

      Das Kochbuch des Meisters Eberhard (15. Jh.)
      http://staff-www.uni-marburg.de/~gloning/feyl.htm

      Ein alemannisches B�chlein von guter Speise (15. Jh.)
      http://staff-www.uni-marburg.de/~gloning/birlalem.htm

      Ein mittelniederdeutsches Kochbuch (15. Jh.)
      http://staff-www.uni-marburg.de/~gloning/mndk.htm

      'Mittelalterliches Hausbuch' (15th c.)
      http://staff-www.uni-marburg.de/~gloning/mhdhb_26.htm

      Ein Kochbuch aus dem Archiv des Deutschen Ordens (15.
      Jh.)
      http://staff-www.uni-marburg.de/~gloning/gollub.htm

      Alte Kochrezepte aus dem bayrischen Inntal (15./16.
      Jh.)
      http://staff-www.uni-marburg.de/~gloning/kb-dann.htm

      However, if you wish to move your era to the 16th
      century, you will find two period cookbooks that
      have been translated or partially translated.

      There is Das Kochbuch der Sabina Welser (c. 1553),
      which is the first cookbook written by a woman.
      You can find the English translation here:

      http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Sabrina_Welserin.html

      There is also a partial translation of Marx Rumpolt's
      Ein New Kochbuch, c. 1581, which can be found here:

      http://clem.mscd.edu/~grasse/GK_Rumpolt1.htm

      If you are looking for a textbook that talks about
      period German foodways, I don't know of any in
      English.

      Spanferkel [or suckling pig] was very popular in
      Germany, not just for Weinnachten. However,
      G�nzebraten [roast goose] was and is the more
      traditional Christmas meat.

      In the Sabina Welserin cookbook, you will find several
      recipes for Lebkuchen, which is a traditional
      Christmas cookie. Master Huen has traced back
      Springerle cookies to SCA period.

      Good luck on your banquet. If you need more help
      with your menu, please don't hesitate to ask.

      Huette
      Caid