points to Effingham... about that fresco.

  • Jeff Heilveil
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 28, 2001
      Yes, Effingam, it is Old Church Slavonic, or a derivative thereof. It is
      also a fresco of the Last Judgement. Very impressive. I wasn't hanging
      out to see what others thought... I was trying to get the house together
      as I just found out that my in-laws are dropping in on Monday.

      In Moldavia (Northern modern Romania, though it's own Feudal State by
      1359) is a monastary which was built around 1488 in a town called
      Voronets. Oddly enough :-), the monastary is also refered to as Voronets.
      Anyway, the entire outside of the building is covered in frescos (as is
      the inside) which were done in the latter half of the fifteenth century.
      By some odd stroke of luck (and decent shading by the forest at whose edge
      Voronets sits) a lot of the frescos have manages to survive in excellent
      shape. Note that that haven't really been worked on since period. In
      fact, most references to Voronets are shocked at the state of the murals
      considering the neglect of the building...

      There is an awesome book called Voronets (out of print, no ISBN, pub.
      1969), which I can bring to Pennsic if people want to see. The entire
      West Facade of the building is a giant fresco of the last judgement.
      Keeping in mind that this area of the world had been run over by Mongols
      for about 100 years and then faced with the threat of the Ottomans for
      about another 100 (though the good citizens of Brasov would have had to
      deal with them first...) it should be unsurprising who was picked for the
      role of "those going to hell."

      Thanks for the info on the hats. Haven't made it back to the files in a
      while. Home computer is slow.

      Well, back to the unpacking and moving stuff. AK! Too much mess. I was
      hoping to stake out my garden this weekend as well (leaving a 16' circle
      so I can practice putting up the Ger in the backyard, since Despina and I
      have put it up a total of twice...

      Cu drag,
      Bogdan

      _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

      Ecotourism: Having people pay money to see exotic INSECTS in THEIR native
      habitats

      Ecoterrorism: Having PEOPLE pay money to _not_ see exotic insects in THEIR
      native habitats
      Jeffrey Heilveil M.S. Ld. Bogdan de la Brasov, C.W.
      Department of Entomology A Bear's paw and base vert on field argent
      University of Illinois
      heilveil@...
      home: (217) 355-5702
    • dannw@pathcom.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30, 2001
        --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Jeff Heilveil <heilveil@u...> wrote:
        > Yes, Effingam, it is Old Church Slavonic, or a derivative thereof.
        It is
        > also a fresco of the Last Judgement. Very impressive. I wasn't
        hanging
        > out to see what others thought... I was trying to get the house
        together
        > as I just found out that my in-laws are dropping in on Monday.
        >
        > In Moldavia (Northern modern Romania, though it's own Feudal State
        by
        > 1359) is a monastary which was built around 1488 in a town called
        > Voronets. Oddly enough :-), the monastary is also refered to as
        Voronets.

        Check out this website:
        http://www.bergerfoundation.ch/wat4/museum1?museum=Voronet&cd=7277-320
        1-1075&country=ro

        Cheers,
        Gwendoline
      • Anthony J. Bryant
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2001
          Jeff Heilveil wrote:

          > Yes, Effingam, it is Old Church Slavonic, or a derivative thereof. It is
          > also a fresco of the Last Judgement. Very impressive. I wasn't hanging
          > out to see what others thought... I was trying to get the house together
          > as I just found out that my in-laws are dropping in on Monday.

          Hey, every now and then I get one right. <G>

          Effingham