Re: [Authentic_SCA] Digest Number 2832

  • DawnsHebog@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 13, 2005
      In a message dated 4/12/05 7:17:17 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
      Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:

      Actually, leather forearm coverings are very period but they are
      called by a different name: Vambraces
      They were used by many. The farmer who plows apprecites them because he can
      wrap reins around his fore arm to rest his hands. The carter for the same
      reason. The hunter has already been mentioned. The falconer for a perch for his
      bird. The feaster to keep his poofy sleeves out of the gravy. etc. ad finitum

      Many times I have seen people wearing very interesting vambraces, and
      wondered if the design were really period researched, but I like mine so I leave
      theirs alone.

      I wear mine to keep the sun off my forearms, and wrists when not fighting,
      because sunburn hurts when wearing gauntlets. However, I do allow my shoulders
      to pinken, why I don't know.

      The desing is still in use today as "cowboy cuffs", and is used by ropers,
      and rodeo freaks to protect their wrists from all manor of harm that simple
      gloves just won't.

      Hawk

      There are no stupid questions, just stupid answerers. anon