Need help helping others. Medieval Indian

  • Huette von Ahrens
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11, 2005
      > Message: 16
      > Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 11:17:59 -0500 (CDT)
      > From: jeffrey.heilveil@...
      > Subject: Need help helping others. Medieval Indian
      > Garb
      >
      > So it's hard being so focused on cookery. You end
      > up looking at "Indian
      > garb" and thinking... well, that's clearly modern,
      > but now being able to
      > make helpful suggestions because you just don't
      > know.
      >
      > Are there decent sources for period Indian garb, or
      > better yet, sources
      > for either archaeological finds, extant pieces, or
      > at least paintings of
      > Indians in period that I could point others towards?
      >
      > And for those of you who are inclined towards
      > linguistic precision in the
      > naming of peoples, I mean the peoples near the
      > Indian Ocean, not those of
      > the nearctic region.
      >
      > Cu drag,
      > Bogdan

      Here is a book that I own that is specifically on
      the sari:

      Lynton, Linda.
      The sari : styles, patterns, history, techniques /
      Linda Lynton ; photographs by Sanjay K. Singh.
      New York : H.N. Abrams, 1995.
      208 p. : ill. (some col.), maps ; 32 cm.
      ISBN: 0810944618

      It shows the different wrapping styles by region
      and, whereever possible, shows ancient works of
      art to show how old the style it.

      There is also this:

      Bhatnagar, Parul.
      Traditional Indian costumes & textiles / Parul
      Bhatnagar. 1st ed.
      Chandigarh : Abhishek Publications, 2004.
      97 p. : ill. ; 29 cm.
      ISBN: 8182470021

      As for period Indian paintings, there are quite a
      few books on the history of Indian art. You can
      find them in your local library.

      Here is one that is a cooking manuscript that has been
      illuminated:

      The Ni`matnama manuscript of the sultans of Mandu :
      the Sultan's book of delights / translated by Norah M.
      Titley. London ; New York : Routledge, 2005.
      ISBN: 041535059X (cloth)

      It has various illuminations of the Sultan, his
      court and his cooks, both male and female.

      Huette

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail