Re: Need help helping others. Medieval Indian Garb

  • Katherine Throckmorton
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11 3:11 PM
      From: Katherine Throckmorton <kthrockmorton@...>
      Subject: Re: [Authentic_SCA]
      Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 16:56:57 -0500

      Bogdan

      >Honestly, I don't much care, so long as we can avoid modern saris.

      What strikes you as being modern about the saris?  If it is the wrap, the nivi wrap (the most common modern wrap) is basically correct for the late period Deccan, if it done without a petticoat and with the pallu worn over the head, which requires a 9 yard sari for most people.
      If it is the fabric or pattern on the sari, it is quite possible to find modern, commerically produced saris that look like the ones in period illustrations. Only a small percentage of modern saris are appropriate, but for someone with a trained eye, it is quite possible to find them.

      in service,
      Asma/Katherine

      in service,
      Asma