Re: SCAdian authors?

  • Lady_Lark_Azure
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 11, 2005
      Katherine Kurtz is, I believe, known as Countess Bevin of Frasier and
      the last time I heard from one of my brother's friends in Wales, was
      still known to come to events occasionally.

      Isabeau
    • Mary Taran
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 11, 2005
        At 07:07 AM 4/11/2005, you wrote:

        >Katherine Kurtz is, I believe, known as Countess Bevin of Frasier and
        >the last time I heard from one of my brother's friends in Wales, was
        >still known to come to events occasionally.
        >
        >Isabeau

        Small correction: She is Countess Bevin Fraser of Sterling (sometimes
        Stirling). She lives in Ireland. She has developed other interests, so
        her activity in the SCA is minimal.

        Mary Taran

      • julian wilson
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 11, 2005
          Thanks to all of you who answered my question in your various ways, and particularly to Mary taran for her list.
          As a life-long SciFi enthusiast, with collections of original copies of Amazing, Astounding, Analog, and Galaxy, to name but a few - locked away along with hundreds of Sci-Fi paperbacks, I now at-least-partly-understand why there were so many such stories during the 1960's 1970's, and 1980's with historical backgrounds - usually involving either time travel, alternative history, or regressing planetary societies.
          Considering the backgrounds of his various "Philosophical Corps" stories, I would not be surprised to see Everett B. Cole added to the list of SCAdian authors, either.
          And some of you actually got to meet these "legends"! Lucky you!
          We do so envy you SCAdians your widespread and very friendly Society - just loaf your equipment into something like a Ford Aerostar, or a towed trailer; jump in and drive for anything up to 12 hours, and attend one of your events; - we are all totally overwhelmed by the sheer scale of your Pennsic War, for example - and would love to visit with some of you - if only it wasn't so damned expensive to "escape from this little rock"!
          Thanks to all of you, I am now inspired to exhume my large sci-fi collection from store, and re-read such stories as "A Spaceship For the King", "Too Many Magicians", etc., etc"
          May God's Benison be with you all, this Feast of St. Stanislaus and always.

          Yours in service,
          Julian Wilson,
          [aka. Messire Matthew Baker/Matthieu Besquer, Governor & Castellan of Jersey, 1486-1497: - "Si vis pacem, para bellum"]
          late-medieval Re-enactor; & Historian and Master Artisan to
          "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
          [the only medieval living-history Group
          in "olde" Jersey]

        • Jenn
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 11, 2005
            Is/was Christopher Stasheff in the SCA? Ælfgifu
          • Chris Laning
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 11, 2005
              Historical mystery rather than sci-fi or fantasy: Mary Monica Pulver
              and Gail Frazer collaborated on the first few volumes of the "Dame
              Frevisse" medieval murder-mystery series under the pen name "Margaret
              Frazer." Gail's now doing them alone, since Monica's gone off in
              other directions (I think she's currently writing a modern series as
              Monica Ferris). I keep forgetting what their SCA names were but I
              know both were in the Society. (This was long before my time, I've
              been told the names but they just don't stay in my memory.)

              Seems that some SCA members who write successful series tend to do
              less with the Society once they start doing medieval history
              full-time for a living :) I suppose one would want to take up
              something like scuba diving or bird watching, in order to have
              something different to do for fun!

              O (Lady) Christian de Holacombe , Shire of Windy Meads
              + Chris Laning <claning@...>
            • Huette von Ahrens
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 12, 2005
                > Message: 15
                > Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 11:06:14 -0700
                > From: Jenn <aelfgifu@...>
                > Subject: Re: SCAdian authors?
                >

                > Is/was Christopher Stasheff in the SCA? �lfgifu

                Yes, he is/was. I know that in the first of
                his books, he has several minor characters with
                the same names as several Caidans. Although I
                do not know him, I do know that he must have
                been active for at least a while.

                Huette

                http://mail.yahoo.com