Re: [Authentic_SCA] Seeking Spanish info

  • L Joseph
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 22, 2001
      --- Stephen Higa <mitsuo@...> wrote:
      > Unfortunately, the Dumbekistan Drum and Drum Corps
      > (that's cute, did you make it up?) is
      > what most SCAdians associate with Middle Eastern
      > personae. :(
      I must credit Lady Sapphira The Navigator with the
      term - she came up with it after getting little sleep
      at Pennsic due to an unending drum circle within
      hearing of our supposedly quiet area campsite.

      > > Jehanne de Wodeford is the Anglo Norman lady of a
      > > Crusader knight - so I can ding on things Saracen
      > > in the SCA with glee.
      >
      > hee hee. :)
      However, my beloved suffers from multiple persona
      disorder and his Mid Eastern persona (Naqib, Son of
      the Dessert and yes, that is Dessert as in with
      whipped cream and a maraschino cherry on top) has
      surfaced a few times and kidnapped me to drum and play
      tambourine at a hafla or two last winter. If one is
      blessed by the presence of a truly gifted drummer this
      sort of thing, in small doses, can actually be kind of
      amusing. But you didn't hear that from me! (Snicker)

      Cheers,
      Jehanne de Wodeford, Rusted Woodlands, EAST

      =====
      When longbows are outlawed, only outlaws will have longbows.

      http://auctions.yahoo.com/
    • Mark Calderwood
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 25, 2001
        Greetings, noble cousins,

        Thank you Jehanne and especially Moshe for so much information, this will
        be very useful! I'm hoping to present a similar thing to the dinner party
        described by al-Yamani, with Moorish, Jewish and Christian guests (even
        though they would not have mingled socially very much in reality, for this
        event to be practical guests have to have some choice). Thanks also for the
        links, I have a few Andalusian cookbooks including Duke Cariadoc's, and
        will be contacting Mistress Anahita, so the food should be *very* good! I
        have several books on Arabic and Islamic poetry, I was going to calligraph
        several poems for guests to read. I'm also making wall hangings decorated
        with Arabic calligraphy, and if I get time am going to decorate some of the
        serving dishes with Islamic calligrams and proverbs. I can get someone who
        play the oud and shawn, and I'm looking into hiring an Australian music
        group called Cantigas, who play music from medieval Spain, the crusades and
        the Middle East-but we'll have to see how the budget looks! Again, many thanks.

        Giles
      • Stephen Higa
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 28, 2001
          > I'm hoping to present a similar thing to the dinner party
          > described by al-Yamani, with Moorish, Jewish and Christian guests (even
          > though they would not have mingled socially very much in reality, for this
          > event to be practical guests have to have some choice).

          Good idea. :) Actually, there was a little more mingling than one might
          think, especially between Jews and Muslims...

          > Thanks also for the
          > links, I have a few Andalusian cookbooks including Duke Cariadoc's, and
          > will be contacting Mistress Anahita, so the food should be *very* good!

          Of course it'll be. :)

          > have several books on Arabic and Islamic poetry, I was going to calligraph
          > several poems for guests to read. I'm also making wall hangings decorated
          > with Arabic calligraphy, and if I get time am going to decorate some of the
          > serving dishes with Islamic calligrams and proverbs.

          Wow, you're going all out! Congratulations on putting together something so
          cool.

          > I can get someone who
          > play the oud and shawn, and I'm looking into hiring an Australian music
          > group called Cantigas, who play music from medieval Spain, the crusades and
          > the Middle East-but we'll have to see how the budget looks! Again, many
          thanks.

          Hey, where are you going to be putting it on? If it's near the San
          Francisco Bay Area, myself and some others would be happy to perform, I'm
          sure. :) Some muwashshahat in the re-created medieval fashion...

          Tell us how it turns out! Sounds amazing.

          Moshe
          By a veiled crescent moon; a human Gazelle, surpassing other Gazelles.
          Oh, would that I knew whether I will win him, or gain consolation!
          --ibn Zuhr (12th c.)
        • Mark Calderwood
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 31, 2001
            > > have several books on Arabic and Islamic poetry, I was going to calligraph
            > > several poems for guests to read.
            >Wow, you're going all out! Congratulations on putting together something so
            >cool.

            Thank you! I'm a huge fan of themed events that expose people to something
            new, and have run a few over the years, mostly from the Middle east or
            Byzantium. They involve a lot of research and are a lot of work, but I
            think are very well worth it.

            For this particular feast I'm looking at Moorish banners and tiraz curtains
            for the walls, the floors will have rugs, cushions and a few low stools.
            I'm considering making a latticework screen to seperate male and female
            diners, but that may not end up being practical. Lighting will be provided
            by several polycandelon/mosque lamps we have, and I'd like to have a go at
            a really sexy pryamidal chandelier style based on an example in a Spanish
            mosque. The food will be served on low tables in accordance with the
            etiquette of Ziryab although I draw the line at fine leather being used for
            tablecloths!), and I'm hoping to hire some green-glazed Islamic/Byzantine
            serving dishes reconstructed from archeological finds by a local potter.
            Knowing my kitchen team the food will be sumptuous and blessedly free of
            non-period middle eastern items!

            As well as that, I hope there will be lots of poetry reading, games (chess,
            zatrikion, alquerque, sirret), I daresay plenty of lighthearted flirting
            through the screen, music, singing and dancing. I hadn't thought of a
            puppet show, but it's a good idea, if I'm not exhausted with all the
            rest of the preperations!

            >Hey, where are you going to be putting it on? If it's near the San
            >Francisco Bay Area, myself and some others would be happy to perform, I'm
            >sure. :)

            It's in Sydney, Australia. Not very close to the bay area, but you've got
            eight months to save up your plane fare and come over! :o)

            Giles
          • Beth
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 2, 2001
              This is an announcement for an event held in Meridies called Andalusian Extravaganza. I enjoyed the historical text and the link they provided for more information. Their focus seems to be dance.

              Ragnel

              Arabic and Islamic poetry, I was going to  calligraph
              > > several
              poems for guests to read.
              >Wow, you're going all out!
              Congratulations on putting together something so
              >cool.

              Thank you! I'm a huge fan of themed events that expose people to something
              new, and have run a few over the years, mostly from the Middle east or
              Byzantium. They involve a lot of research and are a lot of work, but I
              think are very well worth it.

              For this particular feast I'm looking at Moorish banners and tiraz curtains
              for the walls, the floors will have rugs, cushions and a few low stools.
              I'm considering making a latticework screen to seperate male and female
              diners, but that may not end up being practical. Lighting will be provided
              by several polycandelon/mosque lamps we have, and I'd like to have a go at
              a really sexy pryamidal chandelier style based on an example in a Spanish
              mosque. The food will be served on low tables in accordance with the
              etiquette of Ziryab although I draw the line at fine leather being used for
              tablecloths!), and I'm hoping to hire some green-glazed Islamic/Byzantine
              serving dishes reconstructed from archeological finds by a local potter.
              Knowing my kitchen team the food will be sumptuous and blessedly free of
              non-period middle eastern items!

              As well as that, I hope there will be lots of poetry reading, games (chess,
              zatrikion, alquerque, sirret), I daresay plenty of lighthearted flirting
              through the screen, music, singing and dancing. I hadn't thought of a
              puppet show, but it's a good idea, if I'm not exhausted with all the
              rest  of the preperations!

              >Hey,
              where are you going to be putting it on?  If it's near the San
              >Francisco Bay Area, myself and some others would be happy to perform,
              I'm
              >sure. :)

              It's in Sydney, Australia. Not very close to the bay area, but you've got
              eight months to save up your plane fare and come over! :o)

              Giles

              This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

            • Stephen Higa
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 7, 2001
                > Thank you! I'm a huge fan of themed events that expose people to something
                > new, and have run a few over the years, mostly from the Middle east or
                > Byzantium. They involve a lot of research and are a lot of work, but I
                > think are very well worth it.

                I've never been to a themed event, and I don't recall ever hearing of any
                where I am (in the West). However, a Maghrebi persona and I have been
                fantasizing about some day putting up a pavillion at an event for Medieval
                Spanish persona play, discussion of philosophy/science/theology/litereature,
                poetry reading, etc. If we ever do that, I'll certainly ask you for advice!

                > For this particular feast I'm looking at Moorish banners and tiraz curtains
                > for the walls, the floors will have rugs, cushions and a few low stools.
                > I'm considering making a latticework screen to seperate male and female
                > diners, but that may not end up being practical. Lighting will be provided
                > by several polycandelon/mosque lamps we have, and I'd like to have a go at
                > a really sexy pryamidal chandelier style based on an example in a Spanish
                > mosque. The food will be served on low tables in accordance with the
                > etiquette of Ziryab although I draw the line at fine leather being used for
                > tablecloths!), and I'm hoping to hire some green-glazed Islamic/Byzantine
                > serving dishes reconstructed from archeological finds by a local potter.
                > Knowing my kitchen team the food will be sumptuous and blessedly free of
                > non-period middle eastern items!

                Ahhhhh...that sounds so very cool! You've really done your research. I
                especially love the re-created pottery!

                > As well as that, I hope there will be lots of poetry reading, games (chess,
                > zatrikion, alquerque, sirret), I daresay plenty of lighthearted flirting
                > through the screen, music, singing and dancing. I hadn't thought of a
                > puppet show, but it's a good idea, if I'm not exhausted with all the
                > rest of the preperations!

                [writhing with frustration over not being able to attend]

                > It's in Sydney, Australia. Not very close to the bay area, but you've got
                > eight months to save up your plane fare and come over! :o)

                Umm, okay... Rats! Why do you have to live in Australia??

                Moshe
                Qu'er non es grazitz lunhs mestiers
                menhs en cort que de belh saber
                de trobar -- qu'auzir e vezer
                hi vol hom mais captenhs leugiers
                e critz mesclatz ab dezonor.

                --Guiraut Riquier, 1292
              • Stephen Higa
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 7, 2001
                  Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Seeking Spanish info aCtually, there was recently a discussion on the Medieval Spain eGroup as to the periodness (a word?) of "flamenco" dancing.  If anybody's interested, I'll forward some of the info. :)

                  ----------
                  From: "Beth" <ragnel@...>
                  To: <Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com>
                  Subject: Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Seeking Spanish info
                  Date: Fri, Feb 2, 2001, 6:05 PM

                  This is an announcement for an event held in Meridies called Andalusian Extravaganza. I enjoyed the historical text and the link they provided for more information. Their focus seems to be dance.

                  http://seleone.webjump.com/andalusia.htm

                  Ragnel

                  > > have several books on Arabic and Islamic poetry, I was going to  calligraph
                  > > several poems for guests to read.
                  >Wow, you're going all out!  Congratulations on putting together something so
                  >cool.

                  Thank you! I'm a huge fan of themed events that expose people to something
                  new, and have run a few over the years, mostly from the Middle east or
                  Byzantium. They involve a lot of research and are a lot of work, but I
                  think are very well worth it.

                  For this particular feast I'm looking at Moorish banners and tiraz curtains
                  for the walls, the floors will have rugs, cushions and a few low stools.
                  I'm considering making a latticework screen to seperate male and female
                  diners, but that may not end up being practical. Lighting will be provided
                  by several polycandelon/mosque lamps we have, and I'd like to have a go at
                  a really sexy pryamidal chandelier style based on an example in a Spanish
                  mosque. The food will be served on low tables in accordance with the
                  etiquette of Ziryab although I draw the line at fine leather being used for
                  tablecloths!), and I'm hoping to hire some green-glazed Islamic/Byzantine
                  serving dishes reconstructed from archeological finds by a local potter.
                  Knowing my kitchen team the food will be sumptuous and blessedly free of
                  non-period middle eastern items!

                  As well as that, I hope there will be lots of poetry reading, games (chess,
                  zatrikion, alquerque, sirret), I daresay plenty of lighthearted flirting
                  through the screen, music, singing and dancing. I hadn't thought of a
                  puppet show, but it's a good idea, if I'm not exhausted with all the
                  rest  of the preperations!

                  >Hey, where are you going to be putting it on?  If it's near the San
                  >Francisco Bay Area, myself and some others would be happy to perform, I'm
                  >sure. :)

                  It's in Sydney, Australia. Not very close to the bay area, but you've got
                  eight months to save up your plane fare and come over! :o)

                  Giles

                  This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  www..com