Fabric Yardages WAS Re: Reed "boning" washable?

  • msgilliandurham
    Message 1 of 41 , Apr 7, 2005
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, msgilliandurham wrote:

      > > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Mary Taran <marytaran@a...>
      > > wrote:
      > > > It will regain some of its stiff and shiny qualities if you > >
      > wet-iron it, to wit, iron it dry from a wet stage.

      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, msgilliandurham wrote:
      That helped, thank you for the clue (I'm in the baby-steps stage of
      learning about linen).

      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Heather Murray <margaret@e...>
      wrote:
      > ::snrk!:: You're talking to people who'll make houppelands and
      > formal Rennaissance wear, any of which can take up to 15 YARDS of
      > material for decently impressive volume. You've got good instincts,
      > there. :)
      >
      > Margaret Northwode

      Margaret, I stumbled over this website a couple of days ago (trying
      to figure out if the 117" Alcega farthengale would be too large for
      1560's middle class clothing) -- you may already know about it --

      "How Much Is Enough?: Yardages Used in Late 16th Century Women's
      Clothing" http://costume.dm.net/fabuse.html

      Not only is it a useful page, you'll note that the file name can
      either be read as "fab use" or "f[ab] abuse" (all unintentionally on
      the part of the author, I'm sure ...)

      <g,d,r>

      Gillian Durham
    • ladynorelle
      Message 41 of 41 , Apr 7, 2005
        I had a sneaky suspition that's what we were talking about. I have,
        oh, maybe twenty pounds of the stuff laying around my house right
        this minute. Having never made anything with boning, I'm only
        guessing here, but I would think you'd have lots and lots left over
        from the coil when you were done. When you do decide to break down
        and buy some, let me know. I can either just mail you some that I
        have (if I have the right size at the right time) or direct you to
        one of my online suppliers, where you'll save some cash.

        Norelle, whose eyes always bug out of her head when she see anyone
        selling/buying reed for more than six bucks a pound

        > See www.caning.com. Kass said she used the 1mm in bunches for one
        > corset, and 2 lengths of 1/4" split for another.
        >
        > My calculations indicate that the 1/4 part of the narrow foot om my
        > sewing machine will make channels which will hold a 5/32 diameter
        > cane, (doing this from memory, I think that's right) so that's
        > probably what I'll be getting.
        >
        > Gillian (who really needs to quit using purchases as an excuse for
        > not getting off *her* lazy rear, and start *making* something)
        Durham