Re: Reed "boning" washable? WAS English jacket

  • msgilliandurham
    Message 1 of 41 , Apr 5, 2005
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Kass McGann" <historian@r...>
      wrote:

      > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "msgilliandurham"
      > <msgilliandurham@y...> wrote:
      > > Conversely, how does the caning hold up in washable garb, please?
      >
      > I honestly couldn't say as I've never had to wash any of my boned
      > garments. [...] Number two, the lining of the stays
      > is only slip-stitched to the stays at the interior seams.

      Ah ha! I didn't know that.

      > But as I said, I've been wearing my shift under my stays for 3 1/2
      > years of monthly wear (dancing, serving food, 100 degree heat...)
      > and my stays have never needed a wash yet. =)

      I'm suspecting this is a linen shift? Mine are just thin cotton
      muslin (we do what we can...) But I do have lots of cotton-linen
      blend I could use for linings. I bought it because it was slightly
      stiff and shiny, as linen is -- after shrinking it, it's more like
      monkscloth than anything <sigh> but I bet it will absorb a lot of oil
      and sweat! (I will probably use some of it for towelling and a
      bedspread -- it's now that weight.)

      > I've also been told that you can hand wash garments boned with
      > reeds.

      Hmmmm, methinks I will be the guinea pig for this.

      <SQUEEEEEK! SQUEEEEEK!>

      Gillian Durham
    • ladynorelle
      Message 41 of 41 , Apr 7, 2005
        I had a sneaky suspition that's what we were talking about. I have,
        oh, maybe twenty pounds of the stuff laying around my house right
        this minute. Having never made anything with boning, I'm only
        guessing here, but I would think you'd have lots and lots left over
        from the coil when you were done. When you do decide to break down
        and buy some, let me know. I can either just mail you some that I
        have (if I have the right size at the right time) or direct you to
        one of my online suppliers, where you'll save some cash.

        Norelle, whose eyes always bug out of her head when she see anyone
        selling/buying reed for more than six bucks a pound

        > See www.caning.com. Kass said she used the 1mm in bunches for one
        > corset, and 2 lengths of 1/4" split for another.
        >
        > My calculations indicate that the 1/4 part of the narrow foot om my
        > sewing machine will make channels which will hold a 5/32 diameter
        > cane, (doing this from memory, I think that's right) so that's
        > probably what I'll be getting.
        >
        > Gillian (who really needs to quit using purchases as an excuse for
        > not getting off *her* lazy rear, and start *making* something)
        Durham