Re: Reeds for boning was English jacket,

  • Kass McGann
    Message 1 of 41 , Apr 4 5:47 AM
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Aliskye" <alizkye@y...> wrote:

      > I'm intrigued with the idea of using reeds for boning in a corset.
      (If
      > I could just get off my lazy rear and do it). Have you had any
      problem
      > with the reeds poking holes in the corset or other garments and
      trying
      > to escape?

      Nope. I've never had that problem, Aliskye. I usually sew the
      channels into a double layer of closely woven linen and insert the
      reeds into that. Then I sandwich that between the outer material and
      the lining.

      Kass
    • ladynorelle
      Message 41 of 41 , Apr 7 11:28 AM
        I had a sneaky suspition that's what we were talking about. I have,
        oh, maybe twenty pounds of the stuff laying around my house right
        this minute. Having never made anything with boning, I'm only
        guessing here, but I would think you'd have lots and lots left over
        from the coil when you were done. When you do decide to break down
        and buy some, let me know. I can either just mail you some that I
        have (if I have the right size at the right time) or direct you to
        one of my online suppliers, where you'll save some cash.

        Norelle, whose eyes always bug out of her head when she see anyone
        selling/buying reed for more than six bucks a pound

        > See www.caning.com. Kass said she used the 1mm in bunches for one
        > corset, and 2 lengths of 1/4" split for another.
        >
        > My calculations indicate that the 1/4 part of the narrow foot om my
        > sewing machine will make channels which will hold a 5/32 diameter
        > cane, (doing this from memory, I think that's right) so that's
        > probably what I'll be getting.
        >
        > Gillian (who really needs to quit using purchases as an excuse for
        > not getting off *her* lazy rear, and start *making* something)
        Durham