Reed "boning" washable? WAS English jacket

  • msgilliandurham
    Message 1 of 41 , Apr 2, 2005

      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Kass McGann" <historian@r...>
      wrote:

      > Absolutely! My 1630s fancy satin bodice is boned with reeds. =)

      Conversely, how does the caning hold up in washable garb, please?

      Thanks for all your help with this issue, Kass -- it's not having to
      reinvent the wheel for every garment one makes, that makes it possible
      for many of us to make accurate clothing.

      Gillian Durham
    • ladynorelle
      Message 41 of 41 , Apr 7, 2005
        I had a sneaky suspition that's what we were talking about. I have,
        oh, maybe twenty pounds of the stuff laying around my house right
        this minute. Having never made anything with boning, I'm only
        guessing here, but I would think you'd have lots and lots left over
        from the coil when you were done. When you do decide to break down
        and buy some, let me know. I can either just mail you some that I
        have (if I have the right size at the right time) or direct you to
        one of my online suppliers, where you'll save some cash.

        Norelle, whose eyes always bug out of her head when she see anyone
        selling/buying reed for more than six bucks a pound

        > See www.caning.com. Kass said she used the 1mm in bunches for one
        > corset, and 2 lengths of 1/4" split for another.
        >
        > My calculations indicate that the 1/4 part of the narrow foot om my
        > sewing machine will make channels which will hold a 5/32 diameter
        > cane, (doing this from memory, I think that's right) so that's
        > probably what I'll be getting.
        >
        > Gillian (who really needs to quit using purchases as an excuse for
        > not getting off *her* lazy rear, and start *making* something)
        Durham