Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: quick & comfortable camping garb

  • Allyson Tripp Rozell
    Message 1 of 41 , Apr 1, 2005
      I made something like a Tunic of St. Louis
      http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/beginners/StLouis.html out of a fairly
      heavy wool, with long skirts and 3/4 sleeves and it gets heavy use at
      camping events. I can't wash dishes or carry water in my heavy cloak, but
      my cosy wool dress keeps me warm enough. I don't have sleeves dragging
      through everything, and I also cut the bodice fairly close. It's much
      easier than a cloak to maneuver in an outhouse, also. Inevitably, it's what
      I throw on when the evening starts to get a chill, or for those midnight
      runs, or fetching water first thing in the morning.

      Of course, your climate may vary!
      Allyson

    • ladynorelle
      Message 41 of 41 , Apr 7, 2005
        I had a sneaky suspition that's what we were talking about. I have,
        oh, maybe twenty pounds of the stuff laying around my house right
        this minute. Having never made anything with boning, I'm only
        guessing here, but I would think you'd have lots and lots left over
        from the coil when you were done. When you do decide to break down
        and buy some, let me know. I can either just mail you some that I
        have (if I have the right size at the right time) or direct you to
        one of my online suppliers, where you'll save some cash.

        Norelle, whose eyes always bug out of her head when she see anyone
        selling/buying reed for more than six bucks a pound

        > See www.caning.com. Kass said she used the 1mm in bunches for one
        > corset, and 2 lengths of 1/4" split for another.
        >
        > My calculations indicate that the 1/4 part of the narrow foot om my
        > sewing machine will make channels which will hold a 5/32 diameter
        > cane, (doing this from memory, I think that's right) so that's
        > probably what I'll be getting.
        >
        > Gillian (who really needs to quit using purchases as an excuse for
        > not getting off *her* lazy rear, and start *making* something)
        Durham