English jacket, was Re: quick & comfortable camping garb

  • Kass McGann
    Message 1 of 41 , Apr 1, 2005
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "msgilliandurham" <
      msgilliandurham@y...> wrote:
      > I've looked at the caning.com website -- 1mm is really tiny! If I may
      > ask, about how big is each channel, and about how many reeds go in
      > each, please?

      Two or three, depending on the channel. My channels were handsewn so they <
      ahem> varied a little in width. =)

      > And if anyone here has experience with caning in slightly earlier
      > style bodies (with support over the breasts, such as in the Drea Leed
      > corset generator corsets) and would relate that, I've be grateful.

      Gillian, my Dorothea Sabina bodys has boning all the way to the top (I didn't leave
      the breast areas unboned as in the original) because I was going for a more English
      look. The small round reeds work perfectly.

      Kass
    • ladynorelle
      Message 41 of 41 , Apr 7, 2005
        I had a sneaky suspition that's what we were talking about. I have,
        oh, maybe twenty pounds of the stuff laying around my house right
        this minute. Having never made anything with boning, I'm only
        guessing here, but I would think you'd have lots and lots left over
        from the coil when you were done. When you do decide to break down
        and buy some, let me know. I can either just mail you some that I
        have (if I have the right size at the right time) or direct you to
        one of my online suppliers, where you'll save some cash.

        Norelle, whose eyes always bug out of her head when she see anyone
        selling/buying reed for more than six bucks a pound

        > See www.caning.com. Kass said she used the 1mm in bunches for one
        > corset, and 2 lengths of 1/4" split for another.
        >
        > My calculations indicate that the 1/4 part of the narrow foot om my
        > sewing machine will make channels which will hold a 5/32 diameter
        > cane, (doing this from memory, I think that's right) so that's
        > probably what I'll be getting.
        >
        > Gillian (who really needs to quit using purchases as an excuse for
        > not getting off *her* lazy rear, and start *making* something)
        Durham