Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Latin marriage service?

  • Sharon L. Krossa
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 31 11:36 PM
      At 6:15 PM +1200 4/1/05, Maggie Forest wrote:
      > >A Roman Catholic missal may be what you are after. Try a big library
      >
      >at http://www.verso.org/medieval/sarumwed.htm
      >
      >you'll find the first part of the Sarum missal,

      Or, at least, a translation of it. The site does not make explicit,
      but based on the spellings used, it appears that some of the text is
      a modern English translation of the original Latin, and some of the
      text is quoting original (late period) English.

      Note in particular where it says:

      "Then the priest calls the banns, speaking in the mother tongue as follows"

      "Then the priest shall say to the man in the hearing of all, using
      the mother tongue:"

      It appears also that the vows said by the bride and groom are in the
      vernacular, though some of the later prayers are in Latin. (But
      again, this is speculation based on the spellings used for different
      parts of the text on the web page.)

      Perhaps the web pages source may make it clearer: _Documents of the
      Marriage Liturgy_ by Mark Searle, Kenneth W. Stevenson
      (Collegeville, Minn.: Liturgical P, 1992).

      Effric
      --
      Sharon Krossa, skrossa-ml@...
      Medieval Scotland - http://www.MedievalScotland.org/
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2005
        Effric wrote:

        >Perhaps the web pages source may make it clearer: _Documents of the
        >Marriage Liturgy_  by Mark Searle, Kenneth W. Stevenson
        >(Collegeville, Minn.: Liturgical P, 1992).

        Thanks!  I was just about to try to find this title.  This book is a excellent source on wedding ceremonies.  As I recall, they only give the translation of the actual documents, but the bibliography is excellent and will guide you to the original source.
        Before each liturgy there is a introduction explaining where/when it was used, and what it reflects about changes in ideas about marriage.
        -Katherine

        http://datingsearch.lycos.com