Latin marriage service?

  • Jill
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
      Does anyone out there know of a source for medieval marriage vows in
      Latin? Someone I know is planning a wedding, and they want to recite
      their vows in an authentic Medieval service.

      Many thanks in advance,

      Giraude :)
    • Adele de Maisieres
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
        Jill wrote:

        >Does anyone out there know of a source for medieval marriage vows in
        >Latin? Someone I know is planning a wedding, and they want to recite
        >their vows in an authentic Medieval service.

        I'm not certain, but I think marriage vows were exchanged in the local
        vernacular, not in Latin.

        --
        Adele de Maisieres

        -----------------------------
        Quot homines, tot sententiae.
        -----------------------------
      • Maggie Forest
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
          Giraude:
          >Does anyone out there know of a source for medieval marriage vows in
          >Latin? Someone I know is planning a wedding, and they want to recite
          >their vows in an authentic Medieval service.

          I've done some research on period marriages, and what I've seen
          indicates that the vows, if nothing else, were usually done in the
          vernacular. The idea was of course that people should understand what
          they were promising.

          What I've learned can be found at my website, along with the service
          we used for our own 14th C wedding.

          http://www.forest.gen.nz/Medieval/

          /maggie
        • bex_1014
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
            Hello:
            A Roman Catholic missal may be what you are after. Try a big library
            if there is one close by, or maybe the local priest could help.
            This site has a "Marriage Booklet Missal" for sale, it sounds like it
            could be just what your friend is looking for - scroll down a bit to
            find it.
            http://www.angeluspress.org/missals_mass_liturgy.htm
            It's probably not 100% medieval - there have been some updates to the
            liturgy since 1600 - but should be reasonably close. I haven't
            compared a medieval source with a modern one, though, so for all I
            know they might still be the same...
            And this site may have some useful stuff:
            http://www.drizzle.com/~celyn/mrwp/mrwp.html

            HTH,
            Rebecca

            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Jill" <giraude@w...> wrote:

            > Does anyone out there know of a source for medieval marriage vows in
            > Latin? Someone I know is planning a wedding, and they want to
            recite
            > their vows in an authentic Medieval service.
            >
            > Many thanks in advance,
            >
            > Giraude :)
          • Marisa
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
              I would love a copy of that as well. My husband and I are thinking of renewing our vows.

              Marisa

              Jill <giraude@...> wrote:

              Does anyone out there know of a source for medieval marriage vows in
              Latin? Someone I know is planning a wedding, and they want to recite
              their vows in an authentic Medieval service.

              Many thanks in advance,

              Giraude :)

              "We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience."

              -Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

            • wodeford
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "bex_1014" <tonkin.rebecca@s...>
                wrote:

                > Hello:
                > A Roman Catholic missal may be what you are after.

                I have my mother's missal and book of prayer published in 1924. I have
                not yet found anything other than readings for the nuptial mass (which
                are in English) and would be said with the appropriate seasonal
                Ordinary in Latin.

                Will let you know if I find anything else.

                Jehanne
              • Maggie Forest
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
                  >A Roman Catholic missal may be what you are after. Try a big library

                  at http://www.verso.org/medieval/sarumwed.htm

                  you'll find the first part of the Sarum missal, which has the
                  additional advantage of being the one that most protestant prayerbooks
                  used - which makes it easy for those not catholic to adjust.

                  /maggie
                • Sharon L. Krossa
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
                    At 6:15 PM +1200 4/1/05, Maggie Forest wrote:
                    > >A Roman Catholic missal may be what you are after. Try a big library
                    >
                    >at http://www.verso.org/medieval/sarumwed.htm
                    >
                    >you'll find the first part of the Sarum missal,

                    Or, at least, a translation of it. The site does not make explicit,
                    but based on the spellings used, it appears that some of the text is
                    a modern English translation of the original Latin, and some of the
                    text is quoting original (late period) English.

                    Note in particular where it says:

                    "Then the priest calls the banns, speaking in the mother tongue as follows"

                    "Then the priest shall say to the man in the hearing of all, using
                    the mother tongue:"

                    It appears also that the vows said by the bride and groom are in the
                    vernacular, though some of the later prayers are in Latin. (But
                    again, this is speculation based on the spellings used for different
                    parts of the text on the web page.)

                    Perhaps the web pages source may make it clearer: _Documents of the
                    Marriage Liturgy_ by Mark Searle, Kenneth W. Stevenson
                    (Collegeville, Minn.: Liturgical P, 1992).

                    Effric
                    --
                    Sharon Krossa, skrossa-ml@...
                    Medieval Scotland - http://www.MedievalScotland.org/
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
                      At 3:18 PM +1200 4/1/05, Maggie Forest wrote:
                      >Giraude:
                      > >Does anyone out there know of a source for medieval marriage vows in
                      > >Latin? Someone I know is planning a wedding, and they want to recite
                      > >their vows in an authentic Medieval service.
                      >
                      >I've done some research on period marriages, and what I've seen
                      >indicates that the vows, if nothing else, were usually done in the
                      >vernacular. The idea was of course that people should understand what
                      >they were promising.

                      Also is the consideration that marriage vows were not necessarily
                      accompanied by a religious service (from the 12th century the church
                      recognized as legal, binding marriage any simple exchange of consents
                      to marriage), and even when they were accompanied, said service took
                      place in the church after the vows were said (often at the church
                      door) -- that is, after the actual marriage. Even more significantly,
                      said vows were something the couple exchanged with one another --
                      unlike various religious rites which a priest administered to the
                      recipients.

                      For some information and resources with regard to marriage in late
                      medieval Scotland, see my article on historical handfasting at
                      <http://MedievalScotland.org/history/handfasting.shtml>. (You can't
                      explain what handfasting was and was not without first explaining
                      marriage ;-)

                      Affrick
                      --
                      Sharon Krossa, skrossa-ml@...
                      Medieval Scotland - http://www.MedievalScotland.org/
                    • Katherine Throckmorton
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 1, 2005
                        Effric wrote:

                        >Perhaps the web pages source may make it clearer: _Documents of the
                        >Marriage Liturgy_  by Mark Searle, Kenneth W. Stevenson
                        >(Collegeville, Minn.: Liturgical P, 1992).

                        Thanks!  I was just about to try to find this title.  This book is a excellent source on wedding ceremonies.  As I recall, they only give the translation of the actual documents, but the bibliography is excellent and will guide you to the original source.
                        Before each liturgy there is a introduction explaining where/when it was used, and what it reflects about changes in ideas about marriage.
                        -Katherine

                        http://datingsearch.lycos.com