quick & comfortable camping garb

  • Elizabeth Walpole
    Message 1 of 41 , Mar 29, 2005
      Hi everyone,
      Although the subject is a bit misleading this isn't about garb that's quick
      to make but garb that's quick and easy to put on over mundane clothes.
      I've just come back from my one camping event for the year and I after I had
      set up my tent I was too tired to do anything more than throw a skirt on
      over my mundane clothes as everything else required getting completely
      undressed and dressing again from the skin out although this was an attempt
      (as the rules require) it felt like a insufficient half hearted attempt. I
      would really like something better for this purpose which will hopefully
      also be good to throw on over my (mundane) pyjamas for the early morning
      trip to the privies or the shower.
      A lot of other people have simple cotton tunics for this purpose but to me a
      tunic without the propper accessories feels to me like barely better than
      just that skirt (I know tunics can be really nice but I feel wrong wearing
      one), and as the rest of my wardrobe is late period I would prefer something
      that matches.
      So far I've been thinking of a loose gown (inspired by the sight of our
      queen wearing them for most of the time) Loose gowns also have the
      advantage of being as warm as a cloak but with sleeves so you don't have to
      let in the cold air to use your arms. Janet Arnold also suggests that a
      loose gown may have been 'everyday' wear for noble women (at least during
      Mary I's reign) so it would really fit with my passion for 'Tudor' (i.e.
      c.1520 - c.1560 fashions) clothing.
      So apart from a 16th century loose gown does anybody know of something loose
      and comfortable that could be thrown on without much effort? Or, given that
      at the moment the loose gown is looking most likely does anybody have tips
      on how to make one?
      Thanks.
      Elizabeth
      Elizabeth Beaumont | Elizabeth Walpole
      Politarchopolis, Lochac | Canberra, Australia
      ewalpole@...
      http://au.geocities.com/e_walpole/
    • ladynorelle
      Message 41 of 41 , Apr 7, 2005
        I had a sneaky suspition that's what we were talking about. I have,
        oh, maybe twenty pounds of the stuff laying around my house right
        this minute. Having never made anything with boning, I'm only
        guessing here, but I would think you'd have lots and lots left over
        from the coil when you were done. When you do decide to break down
        and buy some, let me know. I can either just mail you some that I
        have (if I have the right size at the right time) or direct you to
        one of my online suppliers, where you'll save some cash.

        Norelle, whose eyes always bug out of her head when she see anyone
        selling/buying reed for more than six bucks a pound

        > See www.caning.com. Kass said she used the 1mm in bunches for one
        > corset, and 2 lengths of 1/4" split for another.
        >
        > My calculations indicate that the 1/4 part of the narrow foot om my
        > sewing machine will make channels which will hold a 5/32 diameter
        > cane, (doing this from memory, I think that's right) so that's
        > probably what I'll be getting.
        >
        > Gillian (who really needs to quit using purchases as an excuse for
        > not getting off *her* lazy rear, and start *making* something)
        Durham