Interesting boots&shoes

  • Park McKellop
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 2005
      http://www.abcgallery.com/W/weyden/weyden40.JPG

      Rogier van der Weyden, The Adoration of the Magi, central panel of the St Columba altar piece c1455.

      Rt hand corner on the young magi: Seems to be a 'near' thigh high, fold-over boot (according to a popular shoe/boot typology ;-) ). Gilded in parts, and a strap extends upwards to meet with a buckle coming down from a 'garter belt'?

      I've seen another that had straps to a belt, or at least tied to something around the waist, I think it was Charles V's, and is in the Madrid Armoury (c1500 or so).

      How common a device would this have been as a method of holding up boots/maintaining their shape?

      By the Master of the St Bartholomew Altar, (c1500)
      The Descent:
      http://gallery.euroweb.hu/html/m/master/bartholo/descent2.html
      The Deposition
      http://gallery.euroweb.hu/html/m/master/bartholo/

      The older man in each has shoes that appear to be imitative of sabatons, or are these examples of some other kind of style?

      Alcyoneus

    • Marc Carlson
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 30, 2005
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Park McKellop <squire009@y...>
        wrote:
        > Rogier van der Weyden, The Adoration of the Magi, central panel of
        > the St Columba altar piece c1455.

        I can't access that painting, but I think I know the work.

        > Rt hand corner on the young magi: Seems to be a 'near' thigh high,
        >fold-over boot (according to a popular shoe/boot typology ;-) ).
        >Gilded in parts, and a strap extends upwards to meet with a buckle
        >coming down from a 'garter belt'?

        Actually that's just a belt :) The garters are worn further down.

        What's in the picture is a fancy derivation of the hunting boot (which
        you can see in The Hunting Book by Gaston Phoebus (late 1300s).

        > I've seen another that had straps to a belt, or at least tied to
        >something around the waist, I think it was Charles V's, and is in the
        >Madrid Armoury (c1500 or so).

        Honest -- it's how people in the 12-1300s kept their hose up.

        > How common a device would this have been as a method of holding up
        > boots/maintaining their shape?

        Holding them up. Garters migh tbe used for shorter boots. Theshape
        is being kept by the fold over bit. You can see it better in the next
        couple of paintings.

        > By the Master of the St Bartholomew Altar, (c1500)
        > The Descent:
        > http://gallery.euroweb.hu/html/m/master/bartholo/descent2.html
        > The Deposition
        > http://gallery.euroweb.hu/html/m/master/bartholo/

        Those white things are likely gartered.

        > The older man in each has shoes that appear to be imitative of
        > sabatons, or are these examples of some other kind of style?

        Actually, those are slip-on overshoes he's wearing, over what I'm
        going to stretch my neck out and say are whittawed goat or calf boots.
        The style is common enough for the period that this piece was painted
        in. Remember, by about 1475/1480 the shoe technology changed to make
        rightside out shoes, probably in Germany, and the German mercenaries
        carried the style with them to spread it like some technolgical
        fashion plague. As the pointed toed shoes feel from being the major
        style, to be replaced by the big round-toed shoes, the armor styles
        changed right along with them.

        Marc/Diarmaid