leather coif

  • Elsa
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 29, 2005
      I was wondering if leather coifs are correct for england during the
      1100's -1200's. I saw a couple of men on the show Cadfael who were
      wearing them.

      Thank you,

      Elsa
    • Adele de Maisieres
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 29, 2005
        Elsa wrote:

        >I was wondering if leather coifs are correct for england during the
        >1100's -1200's. I saw a couple of men on the show Cadfael who were
        >wearing them.

        Not that I'm aware of, no. And from what I've seen of Cadfael, it's
        pretty much a parade of what not to wear.

        Adele
      • Marc Lauterbach
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 30, 2005
          You know, you see leather coifs a lot on TV shows and movies, but I'm
          not sure if any examples have survived or of references to them. In
          the artworks I've seen the vast majority of coifs are white (although
          you do see a few colored ones) suggesting that they are linen or wool,
          but I suppose it's not impossible that you'd find leather coifs. That's
          sort of the way with leather garments in general. It makes sense that
          people would wear them as they are very tough and protective, but at
          the same time its difficult to pin down references to leather clothes
          other than in protective wear sch as aprons and whatnot. Later period
          (1300s onwards) you can definately document leather clothes, but I'm
          not sure 1100-1200.
          Matthaeus