First Crusade textiles & clothing

  • Andrea Jones
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2005
      I'm a newcomer to both garb & the SCA, but I'm also a rampaging
      perfectionist, so I'm trying to build an authentic wardrobe. My persona
      (who as yet remains nameless) lives in what is now Southern France (no city
      yet, haven't thrown a dart at a map...) and would be in her late 20's in
      1096 when Urban II is preaching the First Crusade.

      I'm getting a little frustrated trying to find sources for what textiles
      were used and what the clothing looked like, though. I'm trying to build a
      library, but thus far the books I've found tend to blip right over the
      mid-11th C and start up again mid-12th C, which does me no good whatsoever.
      The one picture I've found is in _Dress in the Middle Ages_ by Francoise
      Piponnier & Perrine Mane (translated by Caroline Beamish). It's on page 78,
      and is apparently from _Vie de Sainte Radegonde_, which was illuminated in
      Poitiers "in the third quarter of the eleventh century." The text has a
      *BRIEF* description of a typical outfit on the same page, but isn't very
      helpful as it assumes a greater knowledge of medieval clothing than I've
      got.

      So I'm laying my plea for help before you all... Can someone point me toward
      resources on textiles & clothing for women during the First Crusade?

      Thanks so much for any help,
      Andrea