ruled by authenticity?

  • jeffrey.heilveil@ndsu.edu
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 24, 2005
      So I was sitting here thinking (since I have another hour or so until the
      sequencer is finished its run), and I got to wondering:

      How many of you have altered your persona (not your wardrobe/kit) because
      of your research and desire to keep things as authentic as possible?

      For example, Despina and I started out choosing Brasov, but we didn't
      really have a hard and fast time period (though we tried to keep it
      between 1400 and 1550). Then I came across the journal of Hans Derschwam
      who brought news of Hungarian and Turkish life to Germany around the
      1550s. Do to that, he had to have gone through Brasov (it was on a MAJOR
      trade route through there which is why the Mongols, the Ottomans, and a
      large number of other armies had also "gone through" Brasov). Some of the
      information in the book (though I haven't hit it yet in my translating of
      the journal) supposedly details some items that had to have come via the
      Spaniards, since they were New World. To me, cooking New World items
      wasn't a challenge, since I do that all the time, so I pushed my end-time
      back to 1524 (battle of Mohacs) to insure against knowledge of new world
      foods.

      Is this odd, or have some of you also done similar things?

      Cu drag,
      Bogdan

      Jeffrey S. Heilveil, Ph.D.
      Postdoctoral Fellow
      Department of Biological Sciences
      North Dakota State University
      Stevens Hall
      Fargo, ND 58105
      jeffrey.heilveil@...
    • Marc Carlson
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 24, 2005
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, jeffrey.heilveil@n... wrote:
        > ...Is this odd, or have some of you also done similar things?

        I have two periods that I tend to work with, and both of them were
        selected by available artifacts and documentation, so no I don't think
        it's odd at all.

        Marc/Diarmaid
      • Kass McGann
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 24, 2005
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, jeffrey.heilveil@n... wrote:
          > So I was sitting here thinking (since I have another hour or so
          until the
          > sequencer is finished its run), and I got to wondering:
          >
          > How many of you have altered your persona (not your wardrobe/kit)
          because
          > of your research and desire to keep things as authentic as possible?
          <snipped for brevity>
          > Is this odd, or have some of you also done similar things?

          Is this odd?! Jeff, look who you're talkin' to... ;)

          Seriously though, both my SCA personae were dictated by the
          information that was available about the time period (or lack
          thereof). My 16th century Irish persona exists solely because we
          have more documenable evidence of native Irish clothing in the 16th
          century than any other time period. And Lady Fujiwara's (my Japanese
          persona) time, place, rank, status, whole life story is a product of
          my study of Heian-period Japan. I started out wanting both personae
          to be in the 14th century. But there is a dearth of info on the 14th
          century in Ireland. And 14th century Japan didn't interest me as
          much as 10th century did. I admit that it was in my very, very early
          stages of persona devlopment when I made these changes and it would
          have been a rare person who knew me as those 14th century versions.
          But I have the pictures to prove that they did exist.

          Just for sake of contrast, my reenactment persona are purely dictated
          by the time period. Of course with reenactment, your group does, for
          example, 1630-1632 Germany or 10:30am on Sunday, 18 July, 1642. So
          you are handed a context and you just invent someone who fits into
          that. With the SCA, there is so much more choice. And we can also
          switch without leaving the organization. If you want to suddenly do
          WWII, you can't do it in an English Civil War group.

          Kass
        • Andrea Huwydd Lycsenbwrg
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 24, 2005
            --- jeffrey.heilveil@... wrote:

            > How many of you have altered your persona (not your
            > wardrobe/kit) because
            > of your research and desire to keep things as
            > authentic as possible?

            Well, I changed from 6-8th century to the 13th
            precisely because the research for early period kept
            coming up empty. A Welsh persona still requires a
            good bit of extrapolation, but more in miles than
            millennia.

            Andrea/Gwervyl

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Renee Robinson
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 24, 2005
              And that's the same course I took, from 6-8th c. Welsh
              to 13th c.

              A lot of it had to do with my short hair, which can be
              covered up by veil and wimple in the 13th c.

              Gwerith
              --- Andrea Huwydd Lycsenbwrg <huwydd@...> wrote:

              > --- jeffrey.heilveil@... wrote:
              > >>
              > > How many of you have altered your persona (not
              > your
              > > wardrobe/kit) because
              > > of your research and desire to keep things as
              > > authentic as possible?
              >
              > Well, I changed from 6-8th century to the 13th
              > precisely because the research for early period kept
              > coming up empty. A Welsh persona still requires a
              > good bit of extrapolation, but more in miles than
              > millennia.

              Make Yahoo! your home page
              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs