Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Elizabethan Blackwork

  • Chris Laning
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 9, 2005
      Morwenna noted:
      >Just a caveat, Ianthe did alter some of the historic patterns and some
      >are her original designs based on period examples. It's still a really
      >good pattern book.

      Yes, but unlike *some* authors, she SAYS which ones are hers and which ones are charted directly from the originals. I occasionally use her book as an example of good documentation.

      (Lady) Christian de Holacombe

      0 Chris Laning
      | <claning@...>
      + Davis, California
    • Julie Stackable, SCA Margaret Hepburn
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 9, 2005
        Oh no! I didn't realize it was out of print, I've got a friend
        trying to find it right now. Guess I'm gonna have to loan it out,
        arrgh.
        BTW, further to Morwenna's comment, Ianthe clearly tells you on each
        pattern what it is, i.e. if it's her original design, if she graphed
        it from an extant piece or if came from an original pattern book -
        there are notes on every design giving provenance.... (thanks for
        being more specific Morwenna, you said what I meant, but didn't
        say....)
        Cheers,
        Margaret Hepburn
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Farmer" <sfarmer@s...>
        wrote:

        > > > Salazar, Kim Brody (as Ianthe d'Averoigne). "The New
        Carolingian
        > > Modelbook:
        > > > Counted Embroidery Patterns from before 1600". Albuquerque,
        New
        > > Mexico: The
        > > > Outlaw Press, 1995.
        >
        > I'll second that recommendation. Unfortunately it is out of
        print.
        > You'll have to get a copy through InterLibrary Loan.
        >
        > Jerusha
      • Beth and Bob Matney
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 10, 2005
          There is a copy on Amazon marketplace for $75.....

          At 11:37 PM 3/9/2005, you wrote:

          >Oh no! I didn't realize it was out of print, I've got a friend
          >trying to find it right now. Guess I'm gonna have to loan it out,
          >arrgh.
          >BTW, further to Morwenna's comment, Ianthe clearly tells you on each
          >pattern what it is, i.e. if it's her original design, if she graphed
          >it from an extant piece or if came from an original pattern book -
          >there are notes on every design giving provenance.... (thanks for
          >being more specific Morwenna, you said what I meant, but didn't
          >say....)
          >Cheers,
          >Margaret Hepburn
          >--- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Farmer" <sfarmer@s...>

          >Carolingian
          > > > Modelbook:
          >New
          > > > Mexico: The
          > >
          > > I'll second that recommendation. Unfortunately it is out of
          >print.
          > > You'll have to get a copy through InterLibrary Loan.
          > >
          > > Jerusha

          >This is the Authentic SCA eGroup
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          > *
          > <mailto:Authentic_SCA-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>Authentic_SCA-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
          >
          > *
        • Aliskye
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 10, 2005
            wrote:

            > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Julie Stackable, SCA Margaret
            > Hepburn" <malvoisine@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I can highly recommend The New Carolingian Modelbook. Almost all
            of
            > > the patterns are either graphed by the author from extant pieces
            or
            > I'll second that recommendation. Unfortunately it is out of print.
            > You'll have to get a copy through InterLibrary Loan.
            >
            > Jerusha

            You might want to try hedgehoghandworks.com Joady may still have
            copies in stock.

            aliskye (who is a friend of the owner)
          • sue_clemenger
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 10, 2005
              Yeah, but....
              not in all cases. Her interpretation of one particular design (taken
              from a Tudor-era boy's shirt in the V&A) is actually pretty far off,
              and when I happened to mention it on another list (without knowing
              that she was also on the list, actually), she did *not* take the
              criticism or correction at all politely. So my feelings about her,
              or the book, are a little biased.
              I've caught a couple of other, minor errors, but they're minor. It's
              a wonderful resource, don't get me wrong <g> (I'm lucky enough to
              have had a friend bring me a copy back from Thirtieth Year), but it's
              not 100% accurate.
              It is, I might add, full of enough patterns to keep *any* embroider
              (ess) busy for a very, very long time! The general quality of the
              book (printing, clarity, organization) is excellent.
              --Maire (old Artemisian needlework geek and blackwork laurel)

              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Chris Laning <claning@i...>

            • lilinah@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 10, 2005
                Many of those recommended books are out-of-print.

                I recommend - very highly - since books are my addicti... uh... i'm a
                bibliophile...

                http://www.bookfinder.com

                This is a meta search engine - not a book vendor - that searches
                hundreds of booksellers for new and used books.

                Through its recommendations i have purchased dozens (maybe hundreds)
                of books from US, Canada, England, Germany, Spain, Italy...

                --
                Urtatim, formerly Anahita
              • Aliskye
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 10, 2005
                  I talked to Joady on the phone today and she doesn't have copies of
                  The New Carolingian Modelbook unfortunately. But I do recommend her
                  website. She has a lot of books on a variety of needlework and
                  costuming topics and also carries a lot of different threads and
                  needlework supplies and costume thingies (bones for corsets and
                  stuff). She generally ships orders out in a day or two of receiving
                  the order if she has the items in stock.

                  aliskye