Cotton Batting for arming jacket/etc

  • Park McKellop
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4, 2005
      It can be found at Walmart under the brand name "Warm and Natural". It is "100% cotton", but it has 12.5% manmade material in it that acts to keep it from separating. I've used in in an arming hood, and it works pretty well. One layer of that within the shell of a cotton/linen blend keeps the sweat out of my eyes even in the summer.

      Alcyoneus

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 5, 2005
        Even better: Harriett Hargraves 100% organic cotton batting. It's similar to Warm & Natural but has no scrim so is completely natural. It's terrific for quilting, if a bit on the expensive side, and is about as close as you're going to get to authentic batting without ginning your own cotton.

        Sarah Davies
      • Pete McKee
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 5, 2005
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, kittencat3@a... wrote:
          > Even better: Harriett Hargraves 100% organic cotton batting.
          It's similar to Warm & Natural but has no scrim so is completely
          natural. It's terrific for quilting, if a bit on the expensive
          side, and is about as close as you're going to get to authentic
          batting without ginning your own cotton.

          > Sarah Davies

          Thanks for that information! Are there any nationally known places
          that carry it? We have Micheals Arts & Crafts, Ben Franklin, JoAnne
          Fabrics and a few others in our area. Don't know if they are
          national or regional chains.

          Take care,
          Pete McKee
        • kittencat3@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 5, 2005
            I got a queen size batt on Ebay. It can also be ordered from your local quilting store, which is where I'd go first - quilt shop owners are almost always quilters themselves, and very knowledgeable about their products.

            Good luck!

            Sarah Davies