Re: food coloring

  • Huette von Ahrens
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
      > Message: 10
      > Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 16:29:01 -0500
      > From: kittencat3@...
      > Subject: Re: food coloring
      >
      > Red - I'd try pomegranate juice or cochineal if you
      > can get it (especially cochineal, which is very very
      > bright and is used as a modern food coloring in
      > cranberry juice). Black - walnut shells.
      >
      > Good luck!
      >
      > Sarah Davies

      Actually, cochineal is not used in cranberry juice.
      It is used in pink grapefruit juice made by
      Ocean Spray, which is probably where the confusion
      lies.

      If you are planning on using cochineal in food,
      please let your diners know this, as it is a
      red coloring made from the Cochineal Insect.
      There are a lot of people, both vegetarians and
      non-vegetarians who have a problem with using this
      source for red coloring.

      Huette

      Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!