Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: food coloring

  • acboysen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
      yeah, i dont think the shells is the part with the dye. the hull, from when
      it's on the tree, turns things black from the juice. if i remember correctly,
      that is...

      amelia
      (who managed to avoid spending days in childhood staining hands, and noticed
      the other kids that did.)

      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Lady_Lark_Azure"
      <jenniferanne21@n...> wrote:

      > Well, I've managed to get some decent colors. I may have to head to
      > a health food store for walnuts in the shell--they're more of a fall
      > thing in grocery stores.

      I've heard of walnut hulls being used as a dye, but not walnut
      shells...or is it the walnuts themselves you plan to use?

      Giraude (who spend many a fall day in childhood staining her hands
      rolling hulls off of black walnuts)

    • Huette von Ahrens
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
        > Message: 10
        > Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 16:29:01 -0500
        > From: kittencat3@...
        > Subject: Re: food coloring
        >
        > Red - I'd try pomegranate juice or cochineal if you
        > can get it (especially cochineal, which is very very
        > bright and is used as a modern food coloring in
        > cranberry juice). Black - walnut shells.
        >
        > Good luck!
        >
        > Sarah Davies

        Actually, cochineal is not used in cranberry juice.
        It is used in pink grapefruit juice made by
        Ocean Spray, which is probably where the confusion
        lies.

        If you are planning on using cochineal in food,
        please let your diners know this, as it is a
        red coloring made from the Cochineal Insect.
        There are a lot of people, both vegetarians and
        non-vegetarians who have a problem with using this
        source for red coloring.

        Huette

        Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!