Re: food coloring

  • SilverLoon2001@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
      >I was thinking of trying egg whites, but I'm concerned about
      >spoilage. Suggestion would be appreciated.

      Stabilised egg whites can be purchased in a box at the grocery. I use them
      for royal icing. Once opened you might have to keep them refrigerated
      (different brands have different instructions).

      They are found with the baking supplies at my local store.

      ~ Hedewigis.

    • giraude@wedcraft.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Lady_Lark_Azure"
        <jenniferanne21@n...> wrote:

        > Well, I've managed to get some decent colors. I may have to head to
        > a health food store for walnuts in the shell--they're more of a fall
        > thing in grocery stores.

        I've heard of walnut hulls being used as a dye, but not walnut
        shells...or is it the walnuts themselves you plan to use?

        Giraude (who spend many a fall day in childhood staining her hands
        rolling hulls off of black walnuts)
      • acboysen@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
          yeah, i dont think the shells is the part with the dye. the hull, from when
          it's on the tree, turns things black from the juice. if i remember correctly,
          that is...

          amelia
          (who managed to avoid spending days in childhood staining hands, and noticed
          the other kids that did.)

          <jenniferanne21@n...> wrote:

          > Well, I've managed to get some decent colors. I may have to head to
          > a health food store for walnuts in the shell--they're more of a fall
          > thing in grocery stores.

          I've heard of walnut hulls being used as a dye, but not walnut
          shells...or is it the walnuts themselves you plan to use?

          Giraude (who spend many a fall day in childhood staining her hands
          rolling hulls off of black walnuts)

        • Huette von Ahrens
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
            > Message: 10
            > Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 16:29:01 -0500
            > From: kittencat3@...
            > Subject: Re: food coloring
            >
            > Red - I'd try pomegranate juice or cochineal if you
            > can get it (especially cochineal, which is very very
            > bright and is used as a modern food coloring in
            > cranberry juice). Black - walnut shells.
            >
            > Good luck!
            >
            > Sarah Davies

            Actually, cochineal is not used in cranberry juice.
            It is used in pink grapefruit juice made by
            Ocean Spray, which is probably where the confusion
            lies.

            If you are planning on using cochineal in food,
            please let your diners know this, as it is a
            red coloring made from the Cochineal Insect.
            There are a lot of people, both vegetarians and
            non-vegetarians who have a problem with using this
            source for red coloring.

            Huette

            Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!