Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: food coloring

  • Adele de Maisieres
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
      Lady_Lark_Azure wrote:

      >Well, I've managed to get some decent colors. I may have to head to
      >a health food store for walnuts in the shell--they're more of a fall
      >thing in grocery stores. I'll probably reduce the pomegranate juice
      >to get a darker color, but the saffron looked great.
      >
      >Anyone have any suggestions for how to get them into something I can
      >use as a base for painting? We're hoping to use them to paint
      >marzipan. I tried incorporating them into a simple syrup, but it
      >comes out like a glaze and is much too transparent.
      >
      >I was thinking of trying egg whites, but I'm concerned about
      >spoilage. Suggestion would be appreciated.

      Egg white is fine for painting marzipan, actually. It dries rapidly,
      and there's no real danger of completely dry egg white spoiling.
      Another option would be gum arabic, but I don't know much about using it.

      --
      Adele de Maisieres

      -----------------------------
      Quot homines, tot sententiae.
      -----------------------------
    • Elsa Cumming
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
        The egg white will work fine. I use it every year at Christmas to paint mundane cookies. I HATE frosted cookies, but like them colored. I have mailed some that took a few weeks to get to where they were going and they were fine when eaten.

        Good luck.

        Take photos of your finished product if you can and post them.

        Elsa

        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
          >I was thinking of trying egg whites, but I'm concerned about
          >spoilage. Suggestion would be appreciated.

          Stabilised egg whites can be purchased in a box at the grocery. I use them
          for royal icing. Once opened you might have to keep them refrigerated
          (different brands have different instructions).

          They are found with the baking supplies at my local store.

          ~ Hedewigis.

        • giraude@wedcraft.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Lady_Lark_Azure"
            <jenniferanne21@n...> wrote:

            > Well, I've managed to get some decent colors. I may have to head to
            > a health food store for walnuts in the shell--they're more of a fall
            > thing in grocery stores.

            I've heard of walnut hulls being used as a dye, but not walnut
            shells...or is it the walnuts themselves you plan to use?

            Giraude (who spend many a fall day in childhood staining her hands
            rolling hulls off of black walnuts)
          • acboysen@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
              yeah, i dont think the shells is the part with the dye. the hull, from when
              it's on the tree, turns things black from the juice. if i remember correctly,
              that is...

              amelia
              (who managed to avoid spending days in childhood staining hands, and noticed
              the other kids that did.)

              <jenniferanne21@n...> wrote:

              > Well, I've managed to get some decent colors. I may have to head to
              > a health food store for walnuts in the shell--they're more of a fall
              > thing in grocery stores.

              I've heard of walnut hulls being used as a dye, but not walnut
              shells...or is it the walnuts themselves you plan to use?

              Giraude (who spend many a fall day in childhood staining her hands
              rolling hulls off of black walnuts)

            • Huette von Ahrens
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
                > Message: 10
                > Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 16:29:01 -0500
                > From: kittencat3@...
                > Subject: Re: food coloring
                >
                > Red - I'd try pomegranate juice or cochineal if you
                > can get it (especially cochineal, which is very very
                > bright and is used as a modern food coloring in
                > cranberry juice). Black - walnut shells.
                >
                > Good luck!
                >
                > Sarah Davies

                Actually, cochineal is not used in cranberry juice.
                It is used in pink grapefruit juice made by
                Ocean Spray, which is probably where the confusion
                lies.

                If you are planning on using cochineal in food,
                please let your diners know this, as it is a
                red coloring made from the Cochineal Insect.
                There are a lot of people, both vegetarians and
                non-vegetarians who have a problem with using this
                source for red coloring.

                Huette

                Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!