Re: food coloring

  • Lady_Lark_Azure
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
      Well, I've managed to get some decent colors. I may have to head to
      a health food store for walnuts in the shell--they're more of a fall
      thing in grocery stores. I'll probably reduce the pomegranate juice
      to get a darker color, but the saffron looked great.

      Anyone have any suggestions for how to get them into something I can
      use as a base for painting? We're hoping to use them to paint
      marzipan. I tried incorporating them into a simple syrup, but it
      comes out like a glaze and is much too transparent.

      I was thinking of trying egg whites, but I'm concerned about
      spoilage. Suggestion would be appreciated.

      Isabeau
    • Adele de Maisieres
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
        Lady_Lark_Azure wrote:

        >Well, I've managed to get some decent colors. I may have to head to
        >a health food store for walnuts in the shell--they're more of a fall
        >thing in grocery stores. I'll probably reduce the pomegranate juice
        >to get a darker color, but the saffron looked great.
        >
        >Anyone have any suggestions for how to get them into something I can
        >use as a base for painting? We're hoping to use them to paint
        >marzipan. I tried incorporating them into a simple syrup, but it
        >comes out like a glaze and is much too transparent.
        >
        >I was thinking of trying egg whites, but I'm concerned about
        >spoilage. Suggestion would be appreciated.

        Egg white is fine for painting marzipan, actually. It dries rapidly,
        and there's no real danger of completely dry egg white spoiling.
        Another option would be gum arabic, but I don't know much about using it.

        --
        Adele de Maisieres

        -----------------------------
        Quot homines, tot sententiae.
        -----------------------------
      • Elsa Cumming
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
          The egg white will work fine. I use it every year at Christmas to paint mundane cookies. I HATE frosted cookies, but like them colored. I have mailed some that took a few weeks to get to where they were going and they were fine when eaten.

          Good luck.

          Take photos of your finished product if you can and post them.

          Elsa

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
            >I was thinking of trying egg whites, but I'm concerned about
            >spoilage. Suggestion would be appreciated.

            Stabilised egg whites can be purchased in a box at the grocery. I use them
            for royal icing. Once opened you might have to keep them refrigerated
            (different brands have different instructions).

            They are found with the baking supplies at my local store.

            ~ Hedewigis.

          • giraude@wedcraft.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Lady_Lark_Azure"
              <jenniferanne21@n...> wrote:

              > Well, I've managed to get some decent colors. I may have to head to
              > a health food store for walnuts in the shell--they're more of a fall
              > thing in grocery stores.

              I've heard of walnut hulls being used as a dye, but not walnut
              shells...or is it the walnuts themselves you plan to use?

              Giraude (who spend many a fall day in childhood staining her hands
              rolling hulls off of black walnuts)
            • acboysen@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
                yeah, i dont think the shells is the part with the dye. the hull, from when
                it's on the tree, turns things black from the juice. if i remember correctly,
                that is...

                amelia
                (who managed to avoid spending days in childhood staining hands, and noticed
                the other kids that did.)

                <jenniferanne21@n...> wrote:

                > Well, I've managed to get some decent colors. I may have to head to
                > a health food store for walnuts in the shell--they're more of a fall
                > thing in grocery stores.

                I've heard of walnut hulls being used as a dye, but not walnut
                shells...or is it the walnuts themselves you plan to use?

                Giraude (who spend many a fall day in childhood staining her hands
                rolling hulls off of black walnuts)

              • Huette von Ahrens
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
                  > Message: 10
                  > Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 16:29:01 -0500
                  > From: kittencat3@...
                  > Subject: Re: food coloring
                  >
                  > Red - I'd try pomegranate juice or cochineal if you
                  > can get it (especially cochineal, which is very very
                  > bright and is used as a modern food coloring in
                  > cranberry juice). Black - walnut shells.
                  >
                  > Good luck!
                  >
                  > Sarah Davies

                  Actually, cochineal is not used in cranberry juice.
                  It is used in pink grapefruit juice made by
                  Ocean Spray, which is probably where the confusion
                  lies.

                  If you are planning on using cochineal in food,
                  please let your diners know this, as it is a
                  red coloring made from the Cochineal Insect.
                  There are a lot of people, both vegetarians and
                  non-vegetarians who have a problem with using this
                  source for red coloring.

                  Huette

                  Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!