Re: food coloring

  • Nibuca
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
      Isabeau said:
      > I am looking for some period ways to color some
      > foods for a 14th c. French and German feast. I've
      > got my purple, yellow and green, but I also need
      > black and red. Anyone know what I can use? I'm
      > extracting the dyes into water and making them into
      > a simple syrup to paint on marzipan as decoration.

      This last September I did my first feast. The theme
      of the feast was "Six colors" (it was for Mists Bardic
      and the Bard is allowed to wear six colors).
      Primarily my colors came out in sauces for chicken and
      in many colored leach (milk jello).

      Sauces:
      Brown - Cameline
      Yellow - Citrus suace
      blue/red - Cerulean Blue Sauce
      Black - black pepper sauce
      White - Cow's Milk Jance
      Green - Green Garlic Sauce

      For the leach I did one with natural colors/sugar and
      one with food coloring/splenda (for the
      diabetic/atkins folks).

      Natural colored: Parsley water(green), Saffron
      (yellow), Blackberry juice (reddish)

      We also added edible flower petals to the meal to add
      color.

      Bardic menu with recipes:
      http://www.fibergeek.com/mistsbardicxxxix/

      In my research I found that saunders were used a lot
      for red coloring and I think turnsole for black. Good
      luck.

      Lady Sylvie la chardonni�re
      West Kingdom
    • Lady_Lark_Azure
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
        Well, I've managed to get some decent colors. I may have to head to
        a health food store for walnuts in the shell--they're more of a fall
        thing in grocery stores. I'll probably reduce the pomegranate juice
        to get a darker color, but the saffron looked great.

        Anyone have any suggestions for how to get them into something I can
        use as a base for painting? We're hoping to use them to paint
        marzipan. I tried incorporating them into a simple syrup, but it
        comes out like a glaze and is much too transparent.

        I was thinking of trying egg whites, but I'm concerned about
        spoilage. Suggestion would be appreciated.

        Isabeau
      • Adele de Maisieres
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
          Lady_Lark_Azure wrote:

          >Well, I've managed to get some decent colors. I may have to head to
          >a health food store for walnuts in the shell--they're more of a fall
          >thing in grocery stores. I'll probably reduce the pomegranate juice
          >to get a darker color, but the saffron looked great.
          >
          >Anyone have any suggestions for how to get them into something I can
          >use as a base for painting? We're hoping to use them to paint
          >marzipan. I tried incorporating them into a simple syrup, but it
          >comes out like a glaze and is much too transparent.
          >
          >I was thinking of trying egg whites, but I'm concerned about
          >spoilage. Suggestion would be appreciated.

          Egg white is fine for painting marzipan, actually. It dries rapidly,
          and there's no real danger of completely dry egg white spoiling.
          Another option would be gum arabic, but I don't know much about using it.

          --
          Adele de Maisieres

          -----------------------------
          Quot homines, tot sententiae.
          -----------------------------
        • Elsa Cumming
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
            The egg white will work fine. I use it every year at Christmas to paint mundane cookies. I HATE frosted cookies, but like them colored. I have mailed some that took a few weeks to get to where they were going and they were fine when eaten.

            Good luck.

            Take photos of your finished product if you can and post them.

            Elsa

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
              >I was thinking of trying egg whites, but I'm concerned about
              >spoilage. Suggestion would be appreciated.

              Stabilised egg whites can be purchased in a box at the grocery. I use them
              for royal icing. Once opened you might have to keep them refrigerated
              (different brands have different instructions).

              They are found with the baking supplies at my local store.

              ~ Hedewigis.

            • giraude@wedcraft.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Lady_Lark_Azure"
                <jenniferanne21@n...> wrote:

                > Well, I've managed to get some decent colors. I may have to head to
                > a health food store for walnuts in the shell--they're more of a fall
                > thing in grocery stores.

                I've heard of walnut hulls being used as a dye, but not walnut
                shells...or is it the walnuts themselves you plan to use?

                Giraude (who spend many a fall day in childhood staining her hands
                rolling hulls off of black walnuts)
              • acboysen@aol.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
                  yeah, i dont think the shells is the part with the dye. the hull, from when
                  it's on the tree, turns things black from the juice. if i remember correctly,
                  that is...

                  amelia
                  (who managed to avoid spending days in childhood staining hands, and noticed
                  the other kids that did.)

                  <jenniferanne21@n...> wrote:

                  > Well, I've managed to get some decent colors. I may have to head to
                  > a health food store for walnuts in the shell--they're more of a fall
                  > thing in grocery stores.

                  I've heard of walnut hulls being used as a dye, but not walnut
                  shells...or is it the walnuts themselves you plan to use?

                  Giraude (who spend many a fall day in childhood staining her hands
                  rolling hulls off of black walnuts)

                • Huette von Ahrens
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
                    > Message: 10
                    > Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 16:29:01 -0500
                    > From: kittencat3@...
                    > Subject: Re: food coloring
                    >
                    > Red - I'd try pomegranate juice or cochineal if you
                    > can get it (especially cochineal, which is very very
                    > bright and is used as a modern food coloring in
                    > cranberry juice). Black - walnut shells.
                    >
                    > Good luck!
                    >
                    > Sarah Davies

                    Actually, cochineal is not used in cranberry juice.
                    It is used in pink grapefruit juice made by
                    Ocean Spray, which is probably where the confusion
                    lies.

                    If you are planning on using cochineal in food,
                    please let your diners know this, as it is a
                    red coloring made from the Cochineal Insect.
                    There are a lot of people, both vegetarians and
                    non-vegetarians who have a problem with using this
                    source for red coloring.

                    Huette

                    Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!