Re: [Authentic_SCA] food coloring

  • Catalin Zoldszem
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
      Yellow -saffron ( period)
      Green -parsley (period)
      Red- Sauders (period)
      Blue-purple plums (maybe if you toned it down)
      Black- a mixture of all of the above
      Purple- Sauders and purple plums
      Orange- saffron and parsley

      Found on an email discussion posted at http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/p-fd-coloring-msg.html . I didn't read through the whole thing, it's pretty long. But it may help. I found that by just putting 'period food coloring' into Google.

      Cat

    • Nibuca
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
        Isabeau said:
        > I am looking for some period ways to color some
        > foods for a 14th c. French and German feast. I've
        > got my purple, yellow and green, but I also need
        > black and red. Anyone know what I can use? I'm
        > extracting the dyes into water and making them into
        > a simple syrup to paint on marzipan as decoration.

        This last September I did my first feast. The theme
        of the feast was "Six colors" (it was for Mists Bardic
        and the Bard is allowed to wear six colors).
        Primarily my colors came out in sauces for chicken and
        in many colored leach (milk jello).

        Sauces:
        Brown - Cameline
        Yellow - Citrus suace
        blue/red - Cerulean Blue Sauce
        Black - black pepper sauce
        White - Cow's Milk Jance
        Green - Green Garlic Sauce

        For the leach I did one with natural colors/sugar and
        one with food coloring/splenda (for the
        diabetic/atkins folks).

        Natural colored: Parsley water(green), Saffron
        (yellow), Blackberry juice (reddish)

        We also added edible flower petals to the meal to add
        color.

        Bardic menu with recipes:
        http://www.fibergeek.com/mistsbardicxxxix/

        In my research I found that saunders were used a lot
        for red coloring and I think turnsole for black. Good
        luck.

        Lady Sylvie la chardonni�re
        West Kingdom
      • Lady_Lark_Azure
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
          Well, I've managed to get some decent colors. I may have to head to
          a health food store for walnuts in the shell--they're more of a fall
          thing in grocery stores. I'll probably reduce the pomegranate juice
          to get a darker color, but the saffron looked great.

          Anyone have any suggestions for how to get them into something I can
          use as a base for painting? We're hoping to use them to paint
          marzipan. I tried incorporating them into a simple syrup, but it
          comes out like a glaze and is much too transparent.

          I was thinking of trying egg whites, but I'm concerned about
          spoilage. Suggestion would be appreciated.

          Isabeau
        • Adele de Maisieres
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
            Lady_Lark_Azure wrote:

            >Well, I've managed to get some decent colors. I may have to head to
            >a health food store for walnuts in the shell--they're more of a fall
            >thing in grocery stores. I'll probably reduce the pomegranate juice
            >to get a darker color, but the saffron looked great.
            >
            >Anyone have any suggestions for how to get them into something I can
            >use as a base for painting? We're hoping to use them to paint
            >marzipan. I tried incorporating them into a simple syrup, but it
            >comes out like a glaze and is much too transparent.
            >
            >I was thinking of trying egg whites, but I'm concerned about
            >spoilage. Suggestion would be appreciated.

            Egg white is fine for painting marzipan, actually. It dries rapidly,
            and there's no real danger of completely dry egg white spoiling.
            Another option would be gum arabic, but I don't know much about using it.

            --
            Adele de Maisieres

            -----------------------------
            Quot homines, tot sententiae.
            -----------------------------
          • Elsa Cumming
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
              The egg white will work fine. I use it every year at Christmas to paint mundane cookies. I HATE frosted cookies, but like them colored. I have mailed some that took a few weeks to get to where they were going and they were fine when eaten.

              Good luck.

              Take photos of your finished product if you can and post them.

              Elsa

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
                >I was thinking of trying egg whites, but I'm concerned about
                >spoilage. Suggestion would be appreciated.

                Stabilised egg whites can be purchased in a box at the grocery. I use them
                for royal icing. Once opened you might have to keep them refrigerated
                (different brands have different instructions).

                They are found with the baking supplies at my local store.

                ~ Hedewigis.

              • giraude@wedcraft.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Lady_Lark_Azure"
                  <jenniferanne21@n...> wrote:

                  > Well, I've managed to get some decent colors. I may have to head to
                  > a health food store for walnuts in the shell--they're more of a fall
                  > thing in grocery stores.

                  I've heard of walnut hulls being used as a dye, but not walnut
                  shells...or is it the walnuts themselves you plan to use?

                  Giraude (who spend many a fall day in childhood staining her hands
                  rolling hulls off of black walnuts)
                • acboysen@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
                    yeah, i dont think the shells is the part with the dye. the hull, from when
                    it's on the tree, turns things black from the juice. if i remember correctly,
                    that is...

                    amelia
                    (who managed to avoid spending days in childhood staining hands, and noticed
                    the other kids that did.)

                    <jenniferanne21@n...> wrote:

                    > Well, I've managed to get some decent colors. I may have to head to
                    > a health food store for walnuts in the shell--they're more of a fall
                    > thing in grocery stores.

                    I've heard of walnut hulls being used as a dye, but not walnut
                    shells...or is it the walnuts themselves you plan to use?

                    Giraude (who spend many a fall day in childhood staining her hands
                    rolling hulls off of black walnuts)

                  • Huette von Ahrens
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
                      > Message: 10
                      > Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 16:29:01 -0500
                      > From: kittencat3@...
                      > Subject: Re: food coloring
                      >
                      > Red - I'd try pomegranate juice or cochineal if you
                      > can get it (especially cochineal, which is very very
                      > bright and is used as a modern food coloring in
                      > cranberry juice). Black - walnut shells.
                      >
                      > Good luck!
                      >
                      > Sarah Davies

                      Actually, cochineal is not used in cranberry juice.
                      It is used in pink grapefruit juice made by
                      Ocean Spray, which is probably where the confusion
                      lies.

                      If you are planning on using cochineal in food,
                      please let your diners know this, as it is a
                      red coloring made from the Cochineal Insect.
                      There are a lot of people, both vegetarians and
                      non-vegetarians who have a problem with using this
                      source for red coloring.

                      Huette

                      Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!